• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Presenting Euriga, a setting with a twist on spellcasters

Laurefindel

Legend
Uploaded the Oracle; the sorcerer reskin.

I wasn't too sure about this one since it's basically a warlock concept in a sorcerer frame but in the end, I think it works. This completes the six (full) spellcasting classes reskin from the PHB. I hope you like them.

'findel

I find the Oracle to be interesting. Yes it is similar to the Warlock, and yet not.

The Witch still seems to have a problem on the forth page I'm afraid (and I do use chrome ;) ).

I think the Mage and Changeling are my favorite refluffs.

Any thoughts on the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster?

Laurefindel

Legend
The Witch still seems to have a problem on the fourth page (...) Any thoughts on the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster?

I tried a slightly different, more aired layout for the witch. Let me know how it turns out.

As for the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, it would be hard to give them anything else than an academician flair without altering the rules since they are so derivative of wizard magic, spells and spellbooks. Rangers and Paladins on the other hand are spellcasting classes in their own right and thus easier to disassociate from their druid and cleric "parent classes". I'm a bit out of fresh ideas however... Any suggestions?

Yaarel

He Mage
The Euriga setting seems mainly animistic with the presence of ubiquitous nature spirits.

In such worldviews, humans too are often themselves understood to be ‘nature spirits’ as well, with their own personal magical power. This is the case among the Norse, the Australian Aborigines, various Native American tribes, various African Animisms, and so on.

Personally, I am waiting for 5e psionics to finally come out to express this concept of personal magic. But I thought I might mention it here too for this setting.

The ranger has always had a guardian status. Standing between two worlds and protecting each from the worst of the other. I think we can easily extend this, but with the feel of your world. What if rangers were the guardian order of the mages? Trained and perhaps even bred to protect and maintain royalty. Only, they didn't succeed as well as one might expect. The fact they share many of the the mages spells, and that the unique spells they have are combat or protection oriented would fit well within that original roll.

Hunters could be easily reworked as master of arms, and beast masters as one linked to a strong familiar/goblin in the old magical styles. The beasts being a physical representation of other spirits who agree to work in tandem with the ranger. Everything would need new names of course.

Not sure about the paladin though.

Witch looks great now by the way!

Laurefindel

Legend
The ranger has always had a guardian status. Standing between two worlds and protecting each from the worst of the other

Ok, I like that!

I e already started to work on the paladin which I’m turning into a runecaster; a warrior that enhances its prowess with ancient runes. Possible tie-in with the olden gods before the new pantheon, or with the giants and dwarves before they vanished from the world.

Laurefindel

Legend
Added the runecaster, a reskin for the paladin. As the name implies, it's a viking-type warrior that uses runes as magic buffs. for itself and its allies.

The paladin's spells are already very abjuration/transmutation oriented, which easily translates in other forms of protective and enhancing magic. I wish the class had more divination spells to represent the runes as a divining tool, but otherwise it works surprisingly well and the reskin basically wrote itself.

Laurefindel

Legend
The Euriga setting seems mainly animistic with the presence of ubiquitous nature spirits.

In such worldviews, humans too are often themselves understood to be ‘nature spirits’ as well, with their own personal magical power. This is the case among the Norse, the Australian Aborigines, various Native American tribes, various African Animisms, and so on.

Personally, I am waiting for 5e psionics to finally come out to express this concept of personal magic. But I thought I might mention it here too for this setting.

The inspiration for this setting is more asian/manga/Ghibli studio, but otherwise very animistic as you say (despite the newer religion and "sciences" that attempt to deny it). Otherwise, the setting itself is mostly an excuse for a coherent exercise in reskinning, I have no pretensions about its possible (and probable) inconsistencies.

Remove ads