• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige Classes

Prestige Classes

• I use them lots!

Votes: 88 31.2%
  • I use them some.

Votes: 118 41.8%
  • I use them rarely.

Votes: 60 21.3%
  • I do not use them!

Votes: 16 5.7%

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
As a GM, I rarely use them. It can get a little complicated if I just need a mook. As a player I often use them.

Psion

Adventurer
Use them a lot. Especially as DM.

Prestige classes are pretty much pre-packaged character concepts. Choose those that make sense in your world goes a long way to defining it. As a GM, it's a convenience, because I don't have to come up with the right feat chain or come up with new feats to realize the concept... it's right there.

Kafkonia

First Post
I use them lots (and multiclass'em when necessary) simply because they're usually the only way to get at a character I envision. If I don't need them, I stay with base classes.

D20 isn't modular enough for me, and PrCs at least alleviate that a little.

Ealli

First Post
I started out opposed to them in 3.0 when I was DMing, they seemed like unnecessary collections of powers. Now that I have a PC in 3.5, I look through the presitge classes to see if any one more closely models the character I want than a base class/combination of base classes can manage. My current character does have a prestige class and will be jumping into another upon finishing all the levels in the current one.

I was going to vote 'use some' until I reliezed everything I have now is either a prestige classed or multi-classed PC / NPC.

Why? Variety and tinkering as much as anything.

Mycanid

First Post
I use them some. Primarily because both I and other players sometimes like to "tinker" and specialize with their pc. Simple as that. :)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The players in my gaming group love prestige classes. I don't think I've ever seen a character take more than 10 levels of base classes...it seems like qualifying and maxing out a prestige class is their primary objective.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I say, if it makes your character fun to play, and it doesn't unbalance the game, go for it.

When I'm a player (instead of a DM), I like to stay with the core classes...sometimes with a slight modification for flavor, like my sorcerer who uses the druid spell list.

So, I went with the second option.

phindar

First Post
I use them some. Mainly for NPCs, but sometimes I'll base a pc around a concept that a PrC will tie into. Like Paladin to Blackguard or Knight-Protector, depending on which way you see the character going.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads