Preview of "Dungeons & Dragons" #1, on sale today!

FalcWP

Explorer
I picked this up today and I genuinely enjoyed it. A lot of the banter really does remind me of actual banter during games (quite a bit, actually, given that I'm currently *playing* a Dwarf Paladin of Moradin, and I tend to snark a lot back and forth with the group's Elf). As with most stuff I enjoy from a 'D&D Media' standpoint, it struck a balance between a fantasy story and an actual game session. I had a few laugh out loud moments, and I'll be picking these up as they come out.

I also cringed a bit at the realization that they're probably relying on the Dwarf Paladin for healing. Wonder how that will work out... :)

Canor Morum

First Post
What's wrong with the artwork and dialogue?

The colors are too bright (saturated might be a better word), the backgrounds have little to no detail, the costumes look more superhero than medieval, everything has a weird "bloom" lighting effect. Maybe I'm just out of the loop and that's how comics look nowadays. I hate it.

Swap out three of the main characters for Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn and no one would notice the difference. Oh look, Lidda is back and it starts off in a tavern...

Pass.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I picked this up today and I genuinely enjoyed it. A lot of the banter really does remind me of actual banter during games (quite a bit, actually, given that I'm currently *playing* a Dwarf Paladin of Moradin, and I tend to snark a lot back and forth with the group's Elf). As with most stuff I enjoy from a 'D&D Media' standpoint, it struck a balance between a fantasy story and an actual game session. I had a few laugh out loud moments, and I'll be picking these up as they come out.

I also cringed a bit at the realization that they're probably relying on the Dwarf Paladin for healing. Wonder how that will work out... :)
No, they're relying on Adric, who is a human warlord.

Weird bit: the rogue tells the paladin to call off the undead, and he replies "they're not mine! These are evil!"

Klaus

First Post
The colors are too bright (saturated might be a better word), the backgrounds have little to no detail, the costumes look more superhero than medieval, everything has a weird "bloom" lighting effect. Maybe I'm just out of the loop and that's how comics look nowadays. I hate it.

Swap out three of the main characters for Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn and no one would notice the difference. Oh look, Lidda is back and it starts off in a tavern...

Pass.
Your complaints? I can't identify a single one. The costumes are very in-line with the D&D look, the pages have a decent ammount of background (look at the background on this page: CBR Image Preview ), the coloring is much less saturated than in most superhero comics (specially some recent DC ones like Supergirl and Superboy), and the characters were very different from those you mentioned.

The dwarf is insecure in love, the elf is cracking wise with some good deadpan replies and the human is (or seems to be) a former cavalry/pirate veteran. Of all the LotR characters, the one specifically mentioned by the author was Gollum, saying the halfling rogue is greedier than him.

FalcWP

Explorer
No, they're relying on Adric, who is a human warlord."

Ahh, this was my initial assumption as well. He certainly fits the part quite well. But his character sheet at the back of the comic lists him as a Fighter (with the Knight build from Essentials).

FalcWP

Explorer
Well, Kayanan's work is beautiful. I think the difference is I wouldn't feel right laughing at the banter if the comic around it was done in that style. For something that's designed, on the whole, to be much more serious, Kayanan's art would be much better. But the Drizzt stories never felt like they were partially lifted from actual gaming sessions, which is more the feel I get with the D&D Comic. For this story, I felt the art worked well. Just MHO.

Canor Morum

First Post
Well, Kayanan's work is beautiful. I think the difference is I wouldn't feel right laughing at the banter if the comic around it was done in that style. For something that's designed, on the whole, to be much more serious, Kayanan's art would be much better. But the Drizzt stories never felt like they were partially lifted from actual gaming sessions, which is more the feel I get with the D&D Comic. For this story, I felt the art worked well. Just MHO.

In that context I agree. I guess I would prefer black comedy rather than over the top slapstick and quips.

Stormonu

Legend
Looks pretty good to me, might have to pick up a copy.

Though I gotta ask, how high was those zombies jump skill that they could jump up through the floor from so far down?

Remove ads