• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preview of the new D&D COmic!

Klaus

First Post
For those that missed the original thread, here's an interview with Denton Tipton, who's editing the D&D comic for IDW: Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Denton J. Tipton)

Here's a snippet on the party:

Wizards of the Coast: Turning to the D&D comics, can you give us a rundown of what we can expect in the series? Who are the initial set of characters we'll meet, and can you set the stage for their initial adventures?

Denton: Our band of heroes is led by Adric Fell, a human warlord. Adric’s a fine leader and tactician, whose charm and luck doesn’t exactly extend to the card table. His friend and right-hand dwarf, the paladin Khal, loves nothing more than smiting creatures in the name of Moradin. Rounding out the group are Bree Three Hands, a halfling rogue who may be greedier than Gollum, and the elven ranger Varis, who has the most intriguing twist that I can’t quite spoil yet. They’re based in the town of Fallcrest and bounce between dungeon delves and missions for the powers that be. That’s about all the setup you need. We strived to make the book as accessible as possible. The $1 price tag goes a long way toward that end.

malraux

First Post
I like Jonrog1's writing, both here and on Leverage. He's an old school gamer with a good sense for dialogue (and an ENworlder!) I'll certainly give the comic a shot.

I dunno if I should be impressed that I got jonrog1's vibe from that without even knowing he was a writer for this or not.

For those complaining about a DnD comic being very stereotyped, I'd at least give it a chance. My impression of his writing is that he's able to work interesting characters into those stereotypes.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Ah, lampshading. The refuge of writers everywhere who recognize a cliche and yet can't/won't come up with something more interesting.
But at least it's funny.

(In this case, of course, it's not the writer's fault, but whoever handed them the assignment of writing a D&D comic, and not simply a comic about/within the context of D&D.)
Thank goodnes they said "write a D&D comic" otherwise it might be boring.

Also, the "Shortcut. Just say shortcut." line reeks of warmed-over Whedon imitation snark,
Finally, people are imitating a good writer!

dulled and diluted until it's nearing the Tommy Hilfiger event horizon of derivation and mediocrity.
Wait, you don't think Whedon's a good writer?

(May just be a really bad preview, though. Hoping! But of course RPG gamers, if D&D novels are any indication, have expectations lower than readers of airport pulp.)
Low expectations mean I'm usually happy. Don't knock until you've tried it!

Goblyn

Explorer
I liked that it was archetyped and very DnD. Better yet, AFAICT, this scene could be the result of 2e, 3.xe, or 4e. I'm sure that as the story continues the edition-neutrality wil fade as magic and abilities are explored further, but that's not a bad thing.

From this small preview I give two tentacles up out of three.

nedjer

Adventurer
The artwork's pretty impressive. Especially the larger panels. Hope they let the pictures tell the story instead of trying to stuff in lots of story panels.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
As a collector, I will wait for the trade. Honestly, there is nothing that jumps out at me to buy it 'now'!

But I do appreciate the art & viewing of it , to being very clean. But beyond that. That's it.

(Experience of collecting-since X-Men #109 and the first appearance of Captain Britian)

circadianwolf

First Post
Wait, you don't think Whedon's a good writer?

Whedon's a great writer. I was arguing that the line was imitating his style, but dulled and diluted until it wasn't funny, just stupid. It's become very common in recent years; Whedon's (mostly unrecognized/unacknowledged) influence on pop culture is really quite astonishing.

Anyway: good for those who do enjoy it; I have a hard time reading the comic medium anyway, so I'm not invested in it. And I'm done.

Henry

Autoexreginated
You know what beats the pants off of criticism? Sales. And I'm going to make sure I do my part. :) That looks like a great comic to me!

"By Moradin's Command, Have some of this!" My Dwarf Avenger could've used that line. :)

Klaus

First Post
You know what beats the pants off of criticism? Sales. And I'm going to make sure I do my part. :) That looks like a great comic to me!

"By Moradin's Command, Have some of this!" My Dwarf Avenger could've used that line. :)
Plus, #0 has two stories in it, and is only $1.00. In this age of $3.99 comics, it's truly refreshing!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads