D&D 5E Preview Witchlight's New Rabbit People

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond. Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks. Creature Type. You are a Humanoid. Size. You are...

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond.

rabbit.jpg

Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid.

Size. You are Medium or Small. You choose the size when you select this race.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Hare-Trigger. You can add your proficiency bonus to your initiative rolls.

Leporine Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Lucky Footwork. When you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll a d4 and add it to the save, potentially turning the failure into a success. You can’t use this reaction if you’re prone or your speed is 0.

Rabbit Hop. As a bonus action, you can jump a number of feet equal to five times your proficiency bonus, without provoking opportunity attacks. You can use this trait only if your speed is greater than 0. You can use it a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

When you create a harengon or fairy using the rules from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, you can choose to increase one ability score by 2 and another by 1, or choose to increase three different scores by 1. Further, you know Common and will choose one other language to learn.

R_J_K75

Legend
If I feel the urge to play Bugs Bunny, Roger Rabbit or Peter Cottontail now I can. And why is the one in the picture carrying a red hot branding iron, going to take revenge on Jay & Silent Bob for beating up the mall Easter Bunny? If I played a harengon I'm pretty sure I'd be dead in about 15 minutes from annoying everyone else at the table. As a DM I don't think I could take them seriously, but it seems thats kind of the point if the book is aiming for a whimsical feel to the adventure.

aco175

Legend
I wonder if they can wear boots of striding? It might bring up arguments on boots resizing since they are magic, or that their feet are not 'humanoid'. Would the bonuses stack or just take the larger one.

Bigger question is when can I play a duck, like in Runequest. They were delicious.

R_J_K75

Legend
their feet are not 'humanoid
Im not sure what their race class should be but humanoid doesnt sit well with me either. Id be fine with them having created something new but then again I suppose the same could be said for tieflings with goat legs. This is probably a race if I were to use this adventure in some way Id just leave out or at least restrict it to npc's/monsters. I can see these making a great snack for a giant.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads