D&D 5E Preview Witchlight's New Rabbit People

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond. Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks. Creature Type. You are a Humanoid. Size. You are...

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond.

rabbit.jpg

Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid.

Size. You are Medium or Small. You choose the size when you select this race.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Hare-Trigger. You can add your proficiency bonus to your initiative rolls.

Leporine Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Lucky Footwork. When you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll a d4 and add it to the save, potentially turning the failure into a success. You can’t use this reaction if you’re prone or your speed is 0.

Rabbit Hop. As a bonus action, you can jump a number of feet equal to five times your proficiency bonus, without provoking opportunity attacks. You can use this trait only if your speed is greater than 0. You can use it a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

When you create a harengon or fairy using the rules from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, you can choose to increase one ability score by 2 and another by 1, or choose to increase three different scores by 1. Further, you know Common and will choose one other language to learn.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wait, I did not mean to insult.
Is he a mmorpg fan?
Does FFXIV have anime catboys and anime catgirls?
Isn't the answer to both "yes"? Where's the insult?

Is the insult the fact that -I- don't like mmorpg with catboys or catgirls? Or is the insult the fact that I think FFXIV's worldbuilding is bad?

Just asking to make sure I don't make the same mistake again. All I was saying is that if you like a mmorpg with anime catpeople, you're probably more likely to enjoy bunnypeople as well. Again, where's the insult besides "I really don't like that just as I don't like bunnypeople"? That wasn't an attempt at insulting, but at having a discussion. My bad if it came out wrong.

Feel free to tell me you hate the darkedgy stuff I enjoy; I wouldn't find it offensive, so I didn't think it'd be offensive for me to state I hate catbunnypeople. Heck, and you can also playfully mock the fact I like that stuff! I'm pretty confident in what I like, someone telling me what I like is wrong isn't going to offend me or change my mind.
(Also, I love it when people tell me what I like is bad. It makes me see things from another perspective, which is awesome.)
Mod Note:

1) Because you’re relatively new to ENWorld, I will note (without action) that one of the rules is NOT discussing moderation in thread. If you have a question about moderation, you can PM any moderator or start a thread in the Meta forum.

2) The insult is framing someone’s personal taste in gaming as a predictor of them liking a thing you’re on record as disliking.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Ok, latest campaign concept:

1. Players are required to choose one of the "animal-folk" options, without knowing anything else about the campaign.
  2. Instead of a Feywild (or Disney) themed campaign, they find themselves in a world where the only "people" are Tolkien races, and the PCs are the only animal-folk in existence
  3. Find a way back home.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am sorry, and I am being serious - what in there is hostile?All I said is races might be dependent on setting. And then said those that argue over race often view it as an end-all be-all, instead of as part of a setting. That's it. There is no hostility in my comments.

Mod Note:
Setting up "gotcha's" and trying to get them to publicly admit they were wrong is, in the end, looking to get others to submit - "Kneel before me and admit you were wrong!" - which is aggression. Culturally deniable aggression, but aggression.

So, now that we have that cleared up - stop trying to win an argument, and start trying to share with and learn from others.

The harengon come from the Feywild, and this is right, perfect for their background. This is the proof to make us remember the Feywild is not only a forest with a lot of fae creatures but strange and mysterious, and you can't know what you are going to find, and always there is something to be discovered and to cause a great surprise.

They aren't the type of humanoids you would see in a "classic" setting but they aren't stranger than the shardminds, for example, or the grippli, tabaxi and tortles.

But I miss the racial feats for no-core PC races.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Snark is fundamentally failed communication.

Interesting. I don't think I agree with that. I think I would consider some of H.L. Mencken's most famous bon mots to be "snarky", and I think they are memorable precisely because they were effective and succinct communication.

I do, however, fully acknowledge that I'm no H.L. Mencken...and probably am less aware than your average human at how my idea of humor is received...so I apologize if my attempts at the form fell short.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But Viera can't become Dragoons! That class is exclusive to the Bangaa Tribe in Ivalice.

FF14 Viera can be!

Also they're technically the future of the Ivalice ones but then there's also the FF12 crossover and. The mess that is 'okay so FF12 and Tactics are somehow canon to 14' is a thing.
Yeah honestly while I know Freya from FF9 isn’t a rabbit lady (and also maybe not technically a Dragoon? I don’t remember), she is the character inspiration I’d go for.
Interesting. I don't think I agree with that. I think I would consider some of H.L. Mencken's most famous bon mots to be "snarky", and I think they are memorable precisely because they were effective and succinct communication.

I do, however, fully acknowledge that I'm no H.L. Mencken...and probably am less aware than your average human at how my idea of humor is received...so I apologize if my attempts at the form fell short.
Yeah snark can definitely be effective communication. It’s a generally very mild form of social reproach, which is an absolutely vital social tool/resource.

It tends to suck on Internet forums unless there is a strong enough sense of community that people genuinely feel bad when their peers get mad at them, though.

Scribe

Legend
It tends to suck on Internet forums unless there is a strong enough sense of community that people genuinely feel bad when their peers get mad at them, though
And when used as a tool by the majority to dodge moderation, yet still put people 'in their place'.

Snark begets snark, and then we are flaming.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads