D&D 5E Previews of Rime of the Frostmaiden

IGN has posted a preview of Rime of the Frostmaiden, including some preview pages (I've put one below). They will also be posting more previews tomorrow! https://www.ign.com/articles/dnd-frostmaiden-first-look-preview-pages

IGN has posted a preview of Rime of the Frostmaiden, including some preview pages (I've put one below). They will also be posting more previews tomorrow!

1599175812924.png

XP is a great way to incentive certain behavior.

Yup.

Milestone advancement doesn't work in Sandbox, imo.

But this is interesting. The campaigns for which I first used “milestone advancement” (I think I called it “not using XP”) were sandboxes, for exactly the reason you state: I didn’t want to incentivize any particular behavior, so I didn’t use the mechanic designed to incentivize particular behaviors.

The point of a sandbox is that you give the players plenty of options and they do what they want, from one session to the next. The minute you tell them they can do whatever they want but they’ll only level if they find treasure or kill monsters, that’s the minute you get a treasure- or monster-hunting game (possibly with sandbox elements) rather than a real sandbox.

This week they want to explore, next week they want to slaughter goblins, the week after that they want to rob the tomb, and the week after that they want to get drunk and gamble in town—all good, and they level at the pace we want regardless.

pukunui

Legend
Not sure how easy it is to read in the page-through video, but if you look closely enough,you’ll see it says that if you trigger the obelisk in this adventure, it sends everyone thousands of years back in time to before Netheril fell. So I don’t know that you can choose how far back you go necessarily.

Maybe they’ll do an Age of Netheril book at some point. Or maybe the Netherese, who pretty much got wiped out again during the Sundering, will make another comeback, this time trying to trigger the obelisks dotting Faerûn in order to send the whole world back to before Netheril fell.

*It’s on the same page as the “Secrets of the Obelisk” sidebar, which is at about 19:58 in the video.
Here's a screen grab.

It looks like the last bullet point reads: "The obelisk disintegrates, as do other obelisks like it throughout the world, but not before hurling the entire planet into the past to a time prior to the fall of Ythryn (see 'Year of Chilled Marrow' on page 262)."

You can see page 262 in full at 20:31 in the video.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-10 095034.jpg
    Annotation 2020-09-10 095034.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 98

Here's a screen grab.

It looks like the last bullet point reads: "The obelisk disintegrates, as do other obelisks like it throughout the world, but not before hurling the entire planet into the past to a time prior to the fall of Ythryn (see 'Year of Chilled Marrow' on page 262)."

You can see page 262 in full at 20:31 in the video.

So time travel to -343 DR? That's a campaign twist...

Remove ads

Remove ads