• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price for Amulet of Deadening

resistor

First Post
So I missed the deadline for RPG Superstar, so I'm asking for your help: how would you price this item?

Amulet of Deadening

This amulet, made of a pair of finger bones etched with dark runes, radiates a feeling of death. The wearer's flesh becomes ashen and cold, and the she gains some of the benefits (and detriments) of undeath.

The wearer has no constitution score, and is immune to disease and poison. While wearing the amulet, she is immune to critical hits, sneak attacks, and other attacks requiring discernible anatomy. However, being neither truly alive nor truly undead, she does not heal naturally and gains no benefits from healing magic. Spells and effects that damage undead (other than turning attempts) also damage her.

Strong necromancy; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, create greater undead; Price ??? gp

Tyonisius

First Post
I've got some important questions about this amulet.

1) Can it be taken on and off at will?

If the wearer can take it off and on at will then the second question becomes even more important. If it takes something special to get it off (I'm not sure what... off the top of my head maybe having the "heal" spell cast on the wear? I dunno) then the second question isn't as important.

2) Does it take a certain amount of time to attune itself to the wearer's body?

There are a few magic items that require that the wearer have it on for a week prior to it affecting the wearer. Might want something like this for this item, otherwise I think it becomes way to powerful.

3) Do inflict spells heal the wearer?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Here are two ways to price it.

It's basically a continuous use item roughly duplicating the effect of an 8th level spell (create greater undead). The formula for that is Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp, so your formula is 8 x 15 x 2000, which equals 240,000 and puts it into artifact territory.

That seems a bit high, even with all the benefits it provides, although it's not far off.

The other way to price it would be to find items that duplicate the amulet's abilities. In this case you would have the following items:

Periapt of Health (immunity to disease) - 7,500 gp
Periapt of Proof against Poison (immunity to poison) - 27,000
Heavy Fortification armor special ability (immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks) - 25,000

These three items combined give you a total of 59,500 gp, which I think is far too low.

And here we have the problem of 3.5 magic item pricing. The first total is by the book, but gives a very high price; the second total is from the hip, and gives a total that's too low. So you either go with one or the other and cross your fingers, or split the difference...and cross your fingers. :)

Pyrex

First Post
Could you clarify the effects of Cure and Inflict spells while wearing the amulet?

You mention that the character gains "no benefit" from healing magic, then go on to say that "Spells and effects that damage undead (other than turning attempts) also damage her."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The drawback there is a real kicker: what happens to her HP if she had a high Con score? And conversely, what's the downside if she started out with a Con penalty?

How does Fast Healing interact with this? Looks like someone relying on a Druid for healing (with the Fast Healing variant) wouldn't be in bad shape, while someone relying on a Cleric would be kinda screwed.

Cheers, -- N

Creamsteak

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:
How did you arrive at that number? It's pretty close to the average of my two figures.

BD

Full price for the first effect (27,000)
One and a half for the second (25,000*1.5)
One and half for the third (7,500*1.5)

Subtotal: 75,750.

x2 for discretionary reasons (having 3 or more abilities and any other concerns)

Total: 151,500 gp.

Which, I think, is a fair ballpark.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Creamsteak said:
Full price for the first effect (27,000)
One and a half for the second (25,000*1.5)
One and half for the third (7,500*1.5)

Subtotal: 75,750.

x2 for discretionary reasons (having 3 or more abilities and any other concerns)

Total: 151,500 gp.

Which, I think, is a fair ballpark.

Yeah, I think that number is about right. However, the amulet's abilities are a little too loosely defined (especially the drawbacks) for my tastes, and if they were reworked, it might lower the price a bit.

BD

Creamsteak

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:
Yeah, I think that number is about right. However, the amulet's abilities are a little too loosely defined (especially the drawbacks) for my tastes, and if they were reworked, it might lower the price a bit.

BD

I agree, though I think that all things considered I think the item is a bit too complicated to just be an item.

Remove ads