Princes of the Apocalypse, the four prophets (Spoiler Alert)

Based on the air prophet picture above, I wonder if we're going to see the return of Murdock's feathery flyer spell :) (AD&D 2e Tome of Magic accessory) (although the membrane in the image does not seem to be covered in feathers :)) Regards.

Based on the air prophet picture above, I wonder if we're going to see the return of Murdock's feathery flyer spell :) (AD&D 2e Tome of Magic accessory) (although the membrane in the image does not seem to be covered in feathers :))

Regards.

The upcoming adventure Princes of the Apocalypse has it's major villains in the form of the Elemental Prophets who are each creating a Temple to their Element. Chris Perkins has shared some details about the four prophets. Starting with their names. Aerisi Kalinoth the Air Prophet, Marlos Urnrayle the Earth Prophet, Vanifer the Fire Prophet, and Gar Shatterkeel the water prophet. Each possessing a weapon empowered by one of the 4 Princes of Elemental Evil Note: Spoilers for some details of the adventure. On details of the 4 Prophets, Gar and Aerisi are the one's with the most info about them (Which is still not much). Gar Shatterkeel despite his appearance is a human (But an abnormal one.) Aerisi the adventure's cover-girl was originally thought to be an Avariel, aka a Winged Elf. However it was recently revealed that she is actually a normal Moon Elf pretending to be an Avariel, and that her wings are illusory. In response to the reveal of Aerisi's fake wings someone wondered about tagline for the story line "Unearth the Deception" while questioning if any of the Prophets were what they seemed to be. Chris Perkins responded with "Each used to be someone else." creating more mysteries about them. I will update this thread with more info on the prophets as it becomes known. For now speculation is the most we can do for the four.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Yeah, that claw on Gar was too conspicuous for it not to be a clue about his back story.
And now that quote would imply that Marlos isn't a "natural" medusa.
No clue about what Vanifer was, unfortunately.

But so far we can confirm the existence of Avariel. Which leads to questions about flying PCs, or at least how the melee classes are going to keep up with what could very well be a range-heavy adventure.

I hope there will be rules for mechanical grafts too.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm sensing that this could either be really cool in an old-meets-new school gonzo sort of way, or it could be really lame in a what's-with-the-silly-looking-claw sort of way. All shall be revealed in time.

Barantor

Explorer
His claw looks ripped off a Apparatus of Kwalish, which makes sense since it can be used as a submarine. It definitely seems more interesting than Tyranny of Dragons.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I have to be honest, this product is not on my list. If it's not set on the Sword Coast, and if the inevitable Toril-shattering climax doesn't take us to Thay, it has a chance. But I won't ever run the adventure (just speaking from experience here, not out of any judgement upon Sasquatch's capabilities), and I've never cared for genasi, so it is really down to the worldbuilding content.

That said, I find this news even more disappointing.

Gar Shatterkeel despite his appearance is a human (But an abnormal one.)

Boring?

Aerisi the adventure's cover-girl was originally thought to be an Avariel, aka a Winged Elf. However it was recently revealed that she is actually a normal Moon Elf pretending to be an Avariel, and that her wings are illusory.

Boring. Dammit. I was really on board with the Monstrous Compendium deep cut theme. But no, the Deception is that they're just like you. Only with snakes in their hair.

Chris Perkins responded with "Each used to be someone else." creating more mysteries about them.

Making players care about that is a really tall order, unless they're 'someone else' they've met before. Or at least have heard of before. If it is supposed to be central to the plot, I don't envy Sasquatch that obstacle.

Prism

Explorer
I am hoping that the four prophets and temples are relatively self contained adventures so I can run maybe one of them. We have a few mid level characters kicking their heels in Faerun that could use a good dungeon adventure. I very much doubt we will go back and start at level one to play them in order.

I like the fact they aren't as obvious as they look in the pictures. Bad guys and secrets go well, but only really if you benefit from learning those secrets before facing them.

Remove ads

Remove ads