D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse - What I learned from the Encounters PDF (spoilers)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast urges adventurers to remember that not all rock creatures are earth elementals. A talking rock that controls boulders is a galeb duhr. A talking rock wearing jewelry is a dao. A silent rock that’s resistant to non-adamantine weapons is a stone golem. A rock with wings is a gargoyle. A rock without a K is a giant bird. A rock that sits there and does nothing could be just a rock or a balor disguised by an illusion. In all cases, proceed with caution.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Red Larch surroundings (and initial adventure sites):
* Lance Rock
* Bears and Bows
* The Haunted Tomb
* The Last Laugh
* Bloody Treasure
* Old Quarries

(three are described in the adventure PF)

Dessarin Valley surroundings and adventure sites:
* Wyvern Tor
* Helvenblade House
* Nettlebee Ranch
* Haayon's Camp
* Dellmon Ranch
* Anderil Farm
* Delegation Ambush
* Abandoned Quarry
* Halls of the Hunting Axe
* Vale of Dancing Waters
* Scarlet Moon Hall
* Rivergard Keep
* Sacred Stone Monastery
* Summit Hall
* Feathergale Spire
* Shallow Graves
* Lance Rock
* Reaver Ambush
* Rundreth Manor

Not shown on map:
* The (New) Temple of Elemental Evil

The top of the map shows Triboar and the Evermoor Way

Cheers!

Nebulous

Legend
Seems a lot like LMoP (which seemed like a remake of Scourge of the Sword Coast, a late D&D Next Encounters adventure). Those adventures were good, so I like this direction. I guess Tyranny of Dragons was just a practice one.

Sounds like a lot of good-old-fashioned dungeon crawling, too, which I'm pretty excited about.

WELL, shoot, i wasn't interested in this until I heard it was from Baker, and Lost Mine was just fantastic, so now I might have to pick it up!

Nebulous

Legend
Red Larch surroundings (and initial adventure sites):
* Lance Rock
* Bears and Bows
* The Haunted Tomb
* The Last Laugh
* Bloody Treasure
* Old Quarries

(three are described in the adventure PF)

Dessarin Valley surroundings and adventure sites:
* Wyvern Tor
* Helvenblade House
* Nettlebee Ranch
* Haayon's Camp
* Dellmon Ranch
* Anderil Farm
* Delegation Ambush
* Abandoned Quarry
* Halls of the Hunting Axe
* Vale of Dancing Waters
* Scarlet Moon Hall
* Rivergard Keep
* Sacred Stone Monastery
* Summit Hall
* Feathergale Spire
* Shallow Graves
* Lance Rock
* Reaver Ambush
* Rundreth Manor

Not shown on map:
* The (New) Temple of Elemental Evil

The top of the map shows Triboar and the Evermoor Way

Cheers!

Does this take place near Phandalin? Near as in, a couple hundred miles?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The right edge of the Lost Mine map overlaps the left edge of the Princes map. (Conyberry and the Kryptgarden Forest appear on each map).

Red Larch is about 120-150 miles south-east of Phandalin (approx).

Cheers!

Nebulous

Legend
Fan-friggin-tastic. I might have to run this. But I was not looking forward to rebooting a campaign to 1st level again. I'm sure I could massage it down a few levels without too much problem.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
The right edge of the Lost Mine map overlaps the left edge of the Princes map. (Conyberry and the Kryptgarden Forest appear on each map).

Good to know that they're really taking advantage of the length and breadth of the D&D multiverse. :)

Staffan

Legend
Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast urges adventurers to remember that not all rock creatures are earth elementals. A talking rock that controls boulders is a galeb duhr. A talking rock wearing jewelry is a dao. A silent rock that’s resistant to non-adamantine weapons is a stone golem. A rock with wings is a gargoyle. A rock without a K is a giant bird. A rock that sits there and does nothing could be just a rock or a balor disguised by an illusion. In all cases, proceed with caution.

Thank you! Good to know, I was just about to walk past that rock just sitting there doing nothing, but now I think I won't. After all, it could be a balor in disguise.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

Cheers!

The south edge also overlaps the north edge of the Scourge of the Sword Coast map (cf Sumber Hills).

Remove ads