• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Printing of Poster Size Maps

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That excuse doesn't work. Morrus' example is for an individual who bought one adventure path and bought one copy of each map. So whether they are good at mass producing or not isn't an issue -- the pricing is not individual-friendly either.

Yeah, exactly. My example was of an individual, who had spent $49.99 on a 12-adventure path, then spending a further $3000 on battlemaps for that path. Clearly, that's never going to happen in the real world.

DupedPlayer

First Post
If you want to save yourself some $ in the long run, pick up an old 800x600 projector and display the maps through rpmaptool or battlegrounds.

Most projectors will come with enough keystone ability to produce 4:3 40-50" maps on a table using a simple, portable stand.

Just a suggestion.

heruca

Explorer
If you want to save yourself some $ in the long run, pick up an old 800x600 projector and display the maps through rpmaptool or battlegrounds.

Most projectors will come with enough keystone ability to produce 4:3 40-50" maps on a table using a simple, portable stand.

Just a suggestion.

I was going to suggest that, too. And you'd be saving even more money if you use digital tokens instead of painted miniatures.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Send me a PM

Send me a PM, and I'll give you my Email address so we can talk.

However, while Morrus is right, large format printing is cost prohibitive if you want all the maps printed for an entire adventure path, my cost for printing is still cheaper than any other source.

I charge $2.99 per square foot, thus a 24" x 36" map is $17.94 + shipping. Anywhere else online (look if you don't believe me) is $5 to $10 per square foot, so $2.99 is extraordinarily cheap compared to them. Yet its all relative.

I also charge $1.80 per square foot for a black and white print, so I do have cheaper alternatives, but then its not color printing. My prices are set up to offer RPG gamers the lowest price I can afford, but I can't afford to give the maps away - I really wish there was a cheaper solution. Believe me I'm not trying to gouge anyone.

The website is setup to print existing maps from publishers for customers to order for printing. If you want me to print an individual map, you need to send me an Email. I print and ship maps worldwide.

To see this on my site: http://shop.gamer-printshop.com/ecommerce/

GP

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I'm not the bad guy, here...

I guess what Morrus, doesn't want to understand here, is that most gamers who need large format printing for maps go to Kinkos, Staples and those kinds of office suppliers for printing. Compared to them, I am dirt cheap - it is they who are my competition, and in that market I am the most affordable. While I could charge more money and get away with it, I want to provide a cheaper alternative to gamers, because that's what I am.

So compared to where one would normally go, I am the cheaper solution.

At the same time, I am not a cheap solution. The old days of a publisher going to a large commercial printing house to get 10,000 maps printed to supply in a boxed edition are gone. Publishers don't get mass produced maps anymore - the risk too great (to end up being stuck with 9000 maps in inventory that didn't get sold - publishers go out of business doing that.) While the inidividual map in a 10,000 print run is significantly cheaper than the one map at a time method I do. Someone still has to buy the 10,000 cheaper maps and the cost for that is prohibitive to all but the largest publishers. For example though a map may cost $4 each, with an order of 10,000 maps, that's $40,000 up front.

In this day in age publishers can't afford to do that. But before you start saying "Gamer Printshop" is charging way too much money with the excuse being "look my entire campaign only costs $48." We're talking apples and oranges here, as either you're talking about a downloadable PDF that's free to produce and distribute, or even a single hard bound book ($35 to $50) - those were mass produced.

If a publisher wants to order 10,000 maps, I've got avenues for getting that done and individual maps would be much more reasonable, but you still have to order 10,000 maps.

If a publisher is unwilling to risk that, while I understand, they are doing much more of a disservice to the individual gamer, than the small shop (me) trying to come up with the least expensive way to get a map in a gamers hands, while not losing money in the process. This is where I am coming from in my pricing.

I am not the bad guy, I am offering the best price I can afford - most digital print shops don't think like that, they want to make more money.

So I think, Morrus's point of view, while honest comparing to the price of their product, its unrealistic to expect me or anyone to have a "cheaper" map, when the industry is unwilling to buy in bulk, yet consider $3.00 per square as expensive.

You can't have both. Thinking so is pure fantasy, and not the D&D kind.

GP

PS: in every previously created box set with maps provided by TSR or other companies in the 80's and 90's nobody ever created a 5 foot x 8 foot map, yet the Banquet adventure in WoBS includes one - on what planet would a map of that size be cheap (answer none), so the fact the maps are so expensive to produce is not the printers problem, its the publishers fault. The word "reasonable" never came up in the design of that map.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads