Prisoners

Can't speak for @pemerton but I have never had a game where the villains were child molesters/traffickers, so, thankfully, that has never come up. I can't imagine the game made better by the inclusion of that kind of thing, but YMMV.

Just as a side note, human traffickers/slavers are a staple in my campaigns, regardless of setting. Due in no small part to copious endless material on how such organization operate (a good GM never overlooks resources) from mandated and/or assigned classes.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Can't speak for @pemerton but I have never had a game where the villains were child molesters/traffickers, so, thankfully, that has never come up. I can't imagine the game made better by the inclusion of that kind of thing, but YMMV.

In my campaigns evil people do evil things. My games are definitely NC-17. All participants are mature adults,and the players greatly enjoy the games.

In my campaigns evil people do evil things. My games are definitely NC-17. All participants are mature adults,and the players greatly enjoy the games.

Mine, too.

If you're going to play a game that involves copious violence, why not pick deserving targets. It also makes my players feel better about themselves as their PCs pry gold dental work from the deceased.

Eric V

Hero
Wow, very edgy.

When playing a game to relax with my friends 1/week, I don't need Epstein-like reminders of real-world monsters; the nightly news does that for me. I can make do with evil wizards and dragons. I genuinely don't see how including a child-sex-slave ring makes the game better.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Wow, very edgy.

When playing a game to relax with my friends 1/week, I don't need Epstein-like reminders of real-world monsters; the nightly news does that for me. I can make do with evil wizards and dragons. I genuinely don't see how including a child-sex-slave ring makes the game better.

Everyone should run their game how they want. My players enjoy my games. I pointed out this example of a game to show why simply accepting a promise to “be a better person” doesn’t really fly with just releasing opponents.

I genuinely don't see how including a child-sex-slave ring makes the game better.

You've obviously never faced cults of Slaanesh. :eek:

I would say that IMO/IME, the greater the evil, the greater the victory.

That, and everyone at my table has seen & done enough horror in RL to require a little more in the descriptive area to get the lines drawn.

pemerton

Legend
So how do they deal with someone like CE demon worshippers, who aren’t known to be very good with following oaths?
Here's an actual play report of something a bit like this.

One group of PCs was interrogating a Torog cultist, offering to hand her over to the Baron with a guarantee that she would not be executed, rather than kill her outright, in return for information. They had no intention to keep the promise, but when the "paladin" PC entered the scene he felt obliged to honour the promise that had been made in his name. So she was duly handed over to the Baron, from whom that PC was easily able to extract the commitment not to kill her.

In our current Prince Valiant game, the PCs tend to convert their surrendered enemies and then recruit them to their military order. That is how the Order of St Sigobert came to have a unit of mounted Hunnish bowmen.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Here's an actual play report of something a bit like this.

One group of PCs was interrogating a Torog cultist, offering to hand her over to the Baron with a guarantee that she would not be executed, rather than kill her outright, in return for information. They had no intention to keep the promise, but when the "paladin" PC entered the scene he felt obliged to honour the promise that had been made in his name. So she was duly handed over to the Baron, from whom that PC was easily able to extract the commitment not to kill her.

In our current Prince Valiant game, the PCs tend to convert their surrendered enemies and then recruit them to their military order. That is how the Order of St Sigobert came to have a unit of mounted Hunnish bowmen.

So what’s the Baron doing with the Torog cultist?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter

Mine, too, though I try to keep the onscreen stuff to an R instead of an NC-17 (because some of my players I know would prefer it, and some of my players I don't know well enough to know they wouldn't). Just about everything they've had to fight has been something that it wouldn't make sense to take prisoner, and that's pretty much exactly intentional. I have had groups they might have expected to fight initiate parley, but that's a slightly different thing.

Mine, too, though I try to keep the onscreen stuff to an R instead of an NC-17 (because some of my players I know would prefer it, and some of my players I don't know well enough to know they wouldn't). Just about everything they've had to fight has been something that it wouldn't make sense to take prisoner, and that's pretty much exactly intentional. I have had groups they might have expected to fight initiate parley, but that's a slightly different thing.

I don't go into graphic detail on what has been done to whom; but the descriptor 'child-slavery ring' suffices to paint a picture for my players.

Remove ads