Pathfinder 2E Problems with percieved overpowered encounters in Pathfinder 1e+2e?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
This is pretty much why I dont like high level play. You need to account for this kind of thing constantly.
Well...

Over on YouTube 'Rule Lawyer' is always claiming PF2E works great up to and through level 20. He's done at least one combat demo of it that seemed to work.

I'll soon be testing this out for myself. The new Stolen Fate adventure path goes from level 11-20 so it's a chance to see PF2E at high level in a very recent module (some older AP, if I recall right, also went to 20.).

Everything in the game looks like it will hold up just fine. Though after a certain point it would have the 'Champions problem' in a lighter form - too many dice being rolled per action. But we're doing it in Foundry so that will be a non-concern.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Well...

Over on YouTube 'Rule Lawyer' is always claiming PF2E works great up to and through level 20. He's done at least one combat demo of it that seemed to work.

I'll soon be testing this out for myself. The new Stolen Fate adventure path goes from level 11-20 so it's a chance to see PF2E at high level in a very recent module (some older AP, if I recall right, also went to 20.).

Everything in the game looks like it will hold up just fine. Though after a certain point it would have the 'Champions problem' in a lighter form - too many dice being rolled per action. But we're doing it in Foundry so that will be a non-concern.
I'm sure the math of the system works fine. I was referring more to the overabundance of super powers that characters possess and the ability to challenge them. More a taste thing than a system cant do it thing for me.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well...

His and Payn's statements are not contradictory. If you're at all good with accounting for what characters at X level can do, it works pretty well. You just absolutely can't run a 15th level game like it was a 6th level game with bigger numbers.

(To give an example--and remember again this was a game with Multiclasses, and one of the characters was an aasimar (mine) and another a tiefling (my wife's)--at the end of our Age of Ashes campaign all four of the characters had at least limited dimension door and flight capability. That wasn't a game-killer, but it could have been a problem if the situations didn't account for it to some degree (for example, melee opponents without ranged combat).

If that's not something you feel good at handling or want to do, its a problem (as I said, when that's the case I just don't tend toward the D&D sphere).

The above did.

Eh. Non-crits never get above about five dice usually (maybe in a few cases multiple elemental damage runes, but often you have other things you want to do with your limited rune slots). A few high level spells can dump a fair bit out there.

Remove ads