Prodigy and talent origins

dekrass

Explorer
In Future Careers it's mentioned in a couple of places that careers give you 4 attribute points per grade. Why do the prodigy and talent only give you 3? Are their exploits more powerful than they seem?
I also noticed the systems upgrade grants no attribute increases, but it seems to an exception in many ways.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A couple of careers are slightly different, yep. It's a guideline rather than a rule - technically a career could be very different (like the Systems Upgrade), but I'd be very cautious about designing those which deviate from the standard model.

dekrass

Explorer
Okay, guidelines are good.
If you update the pdf in the future it might be good to add the word maybe or usually to the lines that tell you how many attribute points you should have from careers. It could help avoid confusion for newer players.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay, guidelines are good.
If you update the pdf in the future it might be good to add the word maybe or usually to the lines that tell you how many attribute points you should have from careers. It could help avoid confusion for newer players.

That's (well, will be - they're written, but not in layout yet) dealt with in some detail in the world building book(s) which have detailed guidelines for designing career, races, and so on.

dekrass

Explorer
I was thinking of the players who aren't likely to buy all the books. Some, who have no interest in GMing, will probably just get Future Careers and Future Equipment. The only numbers they'd see are the ones on page 6 for the checklist and maybe the bit on page 21.

Remove ads