• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Products you'd love to see published (but probably never will)

Dragonbait

Explorer
A Mass Effect role-playing game (I know the Bioware folks have wanted someone to pick up the license to make this but so far there has been nothing).

A translation of the Sword World 2.0 system by NEC

Wik

First Post
A Mass Effect role-playing game (I know the Bioware folks have wanted someone to pick up the license to make this but so far there has been nothing).

It's funny, because I have a system I put together to emulate a Mass Effect RPG. Crossed with Shadowrun.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy the licence, and whether it'd be worth it?

Howdy Shemeska matey! :)

Shemeska said:
Depends entirely on where you look UK. ;)

And not just my take in Dragon on the issue. The issue has very often been very situational.

If you look in the primary canonical material, Lolth has been considered an Intermediate Goddess since 2e.

You could argue Orcus had a brief stint as an even more powerful entity when he wielded the Last Word, but that was merely a temporary power-up.

Lolth was more powerful in 2e, more powerful in 3e and its logical to assume she's going to be more powerful than Demogorgon's Level 34 in 4e.

Shemeska

Adventurer
If you look in the primary canonical material, Lolth has been considered an Intermediate Goddess since 2e.

If you're assuming that because their statblock (if it existed) had "deity" somewhere in it, that meant that they were automatically more powerful than something that didn't, I could see that perhaps. But as I said, and a fair number of sources touched upon, it was often very much more situational than just being a deity or not.

Edit: This isn't an issue of levels or numbers, but of flavor text regarding the relative status of gods versus archfiends depending on where they come into conflict. See the history of the Blood War, Pale Night's ability to utterly flaunt Lolth's restrictions while inside of Lolth's deific domain, Levistus causing Set's deific domain to actually shrink, etc. Outside of their native planes, the situation is much reversed. A blunt reading of stats (when available) conflicts heavily with the lore on the topic, and suffice to say I don't give much consideration to stats when that sort of conflict occurs.

Last edited:

Are there enough deities published with stats, so we can have a throw-down? Orcus vs. Tiamat vs. Demogorgon vs. Lolth vs. Grazzt? For those gods and demon lords who aren't powerful enough, they can have allies to pop them up to the same relative encounter level.

Remove ads