• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Profession/Crafting skills: Why?

Rechan

Adventurer
There are still requests for Crafting and profession-related skills, now that 4e has taken them out, and as I try to think about them... I can't come up with why they should be there.

And I mean that for any rpg.

Unless you're playing Hammer and Chisel: Craftsman Adventures, I can't see a purpose for having any sort of profession or craft skill.

Why would you spend the time to make mundane items? Even if you are getting half, or even a fifth of market prices, after at what, 3rd level, those prices don't matter. You're swimming in gold or counting every copper because you want/need +2 armor, +3 sword, and a few misc items.

"But my character should repair his own items!" Seeing as I've never seen a mechanic for wear and tear of items, then you don't need a mechanical representation of repairing your items.

"But it's part of my background/personality!" Still doesn't explain the necessity for a mechanic. I don't need to take a "Orphan" to designate my family was killed by x. Nor do I need "Lady's Man" to designate my charismatic character as being a woman chaser. Or even "Drunkard" to designate that I immediately go for the alehouse as soon as we roll into town with our swag. (Exceptions made for HERO and SotC, where these have actual impact on the system).

You must be thinking, "But Rechan! What if my players want to make magical items!" Okay, let me ask you something. Your party has spent the last three sessions hunting down the necessary materials to make a magical widget. They put everything together, and ... roll a 1. Do you honestly plan to say "Sorry, your efforts were in vain. No item." The same question applies if you journey far and wide to the greatest swordsmith in the world, do you expect to have him roll a craft skill to make the weapon?

I take it back that I see no reason to have crafting/profession skills. In a naval campaign, profession (sailor) would be taken, but then you'd be using that stat so often it just becomes a god-stat compared to the others. If during downtime your PC wanted to do some smithing to make extra cash from some locals, that's a distinct possibility. But then, that opens the door for the wizard to just go around casting his spells for a fee and raking in a ton of dough.

The answer may be "To make traps/poisons!" Although there has never been adequate rules for either (1,000GP for a pit!?), unless you scrounge around the 3rd party materials in the first place, so that can't be the answer.

Perhaps there's just a disconnect between those that like the craft/profession skills and my taste in games. I know people who enjoy accounting for every goldpiece, take a level of Aristocrat for the starting gold bump. Meanwhile I was frustrated with the notion of spending days of downtime (something of a rarity) rolling for the potential to put spells in a spellbook. But if you're going to go that far, why not just roll every day to make sure you don't step into a gopher hole or catch some horribly common disease?

My ultimate point is, if the purpose is story and fleshing out your character, then why shouldn't the DM just say, "Okay, what you just wanted, you do it." The wear and tear of items is a good example. Most DMs I would say would just hand-wave the fighter fixing his stuff because he brought it up. ("Well, that fight tore my armor, I'm going to fix it." "Hold on there champ, until you do, you get a -2 to AC.")

We don't have rules for repairing the wear and tear of items, or what happens when the cleric shows up at church (does he tithe? Where's his paycheck? Why isn't he helping heal the sick and such? Oh, he's an adventurer? Guess we'll just handwave all that minutia) so why not just handwave the stuff with some description? If you the player are so hell-bent on it, then why can't the DM just let you describe what you do? Because ultimately that's what you want, isn't it?

Unlike conflicts needing to resolve, the background, fleshy stuff is just that. Unless your DM is one in a million, and makes Concentration, Endurance, Profession (Carpenter) have a front-row seat for the adventure, then it's not going to effect the adventure, let alone a pivotal role in the story. Because unless it does, unless it gets you closer to the goal, then it's no different than having a mechanical subsystem to find out if you picked up the barmaid at the tavern or not.

Finally, I ask another question. I am willing to hypothesize that only a small subset of players and DMs would emphasize or strongly use the craft/profession skills. If that is the case (and remember, the question hinges on IF it is), then should they be in the core rules of an RPG?

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Concentration was never a critical skill? It was basically essentially for spellcasting in combat.

Craft skills work pretty well for characters who expect to juryrig things as part of the adventure. For example, MacGuyver.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Crafting is gone from D&D, and I don't think I'll miss it.

But in some worlds and games, Crafting does come in handy; for example, in Unknown Armies, one of our group was an expert in making homemade explosives. Very handy, and I'd think that cooking up C4 from stuff you get at the hardware store is skill check-worthy.

Rechan

Adventurer
Concentration was never a critical skill? It was basically essentially for spellcasting in combat.
A critical skill for non-spellcasters, then, that the adventure or goal hinges on. C'mon, forest for trees, man. :)

Craft skills work pretty well for characters who expect to juryrig things as part of the adventure. For example, MacGuyver.
Except that there aren't really rules for juryrigging things. And again, if 1) It's part of their character concept, and 2) they're going to be spending the time and effort to do it, then why make them roll to even be able to make it in the first place? There was never a question of "Can MacGuyver put it together, or will he fail?" No, it's "Once he has it together, does his plan succeed?".

There's no difference between "I have it in my inventory at the start of the adventure" and "I make it on the spot with available equipment."

Last edited:

Delta

First Post
Mostly for NPCs. So the DM has a quick way of denoting who does what, and some guidelines on how long it takes them.

Now, for PCs I really do want (as OP says) Profession (sailor), Craft (poison), and Craft (traps). And yes, we do need better and more robust rules for those than have been presented before. But the Craft/Profession skills provide a basis to complete that work.

Rechan

Adventurer
Mostly for NPCs. So the DM has a quick way of denoting who does what, and some guidelines on how long it takes them.
Really? There needs to be a subsystem for that?

Because if that's the case, it's woefully under-developed. How long does it take to build a house? A raft? A rowboat? A fort? A castle? Those things are just as likely to come up as (looking at the craft skill) making a high quality item like a bell.

What happened to 1) Speed of plot, or 2) What sounds reasonable.

Masada

First Post
I think a mechanic is handy for creating magic items that are a bit more mundane... like healing potions, buff spells, and other temporary effects. These basically become extra abilities and you'd want to have a mechanic to make it easy to calculate without making arbitrary judgement calls.

It could be that 4e doesn't need it anymore. I have not read the rules. But as far as "any RPG" needing it... yeah it's handy for somethings. No I would not use crafting skills for items created as part of a quest. No I would not make the Master Swordsman fail a check. But I might add some bonues to a really good success check.

And of course... just because there is a mechanic, doesn't mean you have to use it. It is just the "easy" way of answering the player question "how many healing potions can I have?"

Allister

First Post
Actually, they don't.

I hate to say this Delta, but you're using them wrong. The problem with Profession and Craft is that they're overly too broad with a relatively specific skill system.

Ex: Profession (sailor) -Um, read the skill description closely. What a Profession DC check tells you is how much money a person can make in a week. NOT how well they can do the job.

More importantly, it interacts very weirdly with specific skills like Balance, Climb.

If the system didn't have relatively specific skills like Balance and Climb, then I could see Profession being a nice skill system but as it exists?

Seriously, having Profession (Sailor) is akin to having Profession (Adventurer) and I doubt anyone here thinks the latter is a good skill.

Rechan

Adventurer
I think a mechanic is handy for creating magic items that are a bit more mundane... like healing potions, buff spells, and other temporary effects. These basically become extra abilities and you'd want to have a mechanic to make it easy to calculate without making arbitrary judgement calls.

And of course... just because there is a mechanic, doesn't mean you have to use it. It is just the "easy" way of answering the player question "how many healing potions can I have?"
Honestly, I thought that was the role of GP.

It doesn't really reflect the actual economy. There's no talk of buying castles, raising armies, how much money it costs to feed x number of people, taxes tolls or tithes. Nor what happens when adventurers show up and dump 10,00gp into the little hamlet's economy.

The system assumes that your money is being spent on equipment. It designates what is within your means to have. One can easily just say that GP = magical item budget. So you could take out gold completely, call it "Magical Item Points" and see little difference beyond immersion.

Otherwise you end up with a situation like Conan RPG; your loot at the end of the adventure is gone at the beginning of the next, because you are assumed to have spent it on ale and whores.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
I want Craft skills which are more detailed, not less. :) I want to be able to run my dwarven smith cleric as a smith first and a cleric second. I want the satisfaction of building up a character who is more than an NPC but is outside the regular cliche of "find it, kill it, take its treasure".

Sure, he adventures - but adventuring is a distraction to his real calling, which is to become the greatest Mastersmith in the world. Now that doesn't mean that I want everything handed to me on a plate. A mechanic which allows my character to meet progressively greater challenges, as he devotes his time and energy to improving in his chosen field - and to fail from time to time, because that's the way life is - that's what would get my vote!

Sure, it's not for everyone - and I'm perfectly happy to play my wizard, or my rogue, or my paladin, as well - but I certainly welcome the fact that we have at least some mechanic for dealing with non-adventuring skills like Craft, and Profession. I just wish there was a lot more of it! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads