D&D 5E Proficiency vs. Ability vs. Expertise

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, not surprisingly, giving the person with the higher modifier advantage at some threshold creates a major jump, and gives well above the 2d10 win chance up until the +8 or +9 range, after which it's almost identical to having both parties roll 2d10. The 3d6 method catches up to giving the better mod advantage at a difference of +4 or +5, then then rapidly hits the ceiling from there.

The numbers aren't so far off that I wouldn't want to use advantage if I thought it were necessary to correct the randomness. In fact, the higher percentage early on from advantage might be what some here in the thread are looking for to get rid of the random d20 swing.

Thanks for doing that for me! :)

I'm not talking about the GM's prerogative to set the difficulty of a task; I'm coming from the GM's perspective here. For static checks vs DC, they can always tune the success rate by increasing or decreasing the DC. But for the opposed check mechanic, they don't really have any levers available to them, apart from granting advantage or disadvantage to one side. I love advantage and disadvantage as a mechanic in general, but using it on an opposed check merely because one side has a higher modifier would be really clunky.
Stealth doesn't always have to be an opposed check. Sneaking past one monster might be, but then you're only past one monster. The odds of success go down considerably with multiple checks.

Rather than make the sneaker roll for every single guard as they take half an hour to deal with the rogue's scouting mission, the DM can simply set a DC based on the task that the sneak actually wants to accomplish.
e.g Scout an orc camp, getting layout and numbers: DC20.
Actually infiltrate said camp, getting to a specific tent: DC 25
etc.

2. Yes again. Although stealth has been my scapegoat in all this, as I said the same problem can exist with any of the skills. I have no issue with a rogue being as good as others, I just fail to see why they should have to potential to be better aside from a purely "let's give them something" idea.
This is important I think. - Is it a case of "Since skills are a purely mundane, nonmagical expression of a character's abilities, there shouldn't be any reason why one class should be better at them than another"?
Why do you think the skill monkey class should not be better at skills than other classes? - That would help understand the best angle for houserules for you.

Avoids:
Yeah, the all are good things to avoid. I don't want to detract from rogues/bards as skill monkeys, but would rather find some other way to represent the idea than just boosting their numbers.
How do you feel about Garthanos' suggestion that expertise gives a special ability based on the skill rather than a numbers boost?
So a Rogue who wanted to have expertise in Stealth might pick the ability to move faster without taking a penalty to stealth checks, or to not be tracked, or to move into cover as part of the hiding action or similar rather than getting a bonus to their rolls.

I don't agree, not a big sacrifice, and certainly not deserving of inherently broken mistakes.
While a Rogue can use Str to sneak attack just fine, raising Str at the cost of Dex is going to hurt them in other areas, such as AC, initiative, and some traditionally roguey skills such as Stealth. That is a sacrifice of some note.

5th Ed seems to have missed a few final edits or what-have-you (e.g. weapons table, monster proficiency based off of CR, etc).
I can see the proficiency thing should be more independent of CR, but what do you not like about the weapon table?

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
I can see the proficiency thing should be more independent of CR, but what do you not like about the weapon table?

I base proficiency bonus for monsters off of hit dice, like PCs (one of the bonuses is bypassing the circular reference in the DMG).

As for the weapons table; first, the omissions: 1d12 and 2d6 piercing weapon, 1d8 finesse slashing weapon, etc. Then the handaxe, should be 1d4 damage, also, the greatclub should be heavy and 1d10 damage. The quarterstaff being versatile is stupid. The pike and trident are a mess (pointless). Oh, and the net, you always have disadvantage when attacking with it, marvellous stuff.

Seems like someone fell asleep during the final draft or two of that section.

Esker

Hero
The numbers aren't so far off that I wouldn't want to use advantage if I thought it were necessary to correct the randomness. In fact, the higher percentage early on from advantage might be what some here in the thread are looking for to get rid of the random d20 swing.

Thanks for doing that for me! :)

Sure!

The issue I see with using advantage is that it's awkward to pick a threshold to start using it. I guess if you want one roll to represent a situation involving a sequence of discrete contests (so that even a +1 is very likely to win out in the long run), then granting one side advantage with any difference in mods could make sense, but picking any other spot to jump is arbitrary. Just using 2d10, at least for opposed checks that the DM deems relatively "low luck" gives you a nice smooth success curve. The only downside I see with it is that it's not part of the rules.

Esker

Hero
Stealth doesn't always have to be an opposed check. Sneaking past one monster might be, but then you're only past one monster. The odds of success go down considerably with multiple checks.

Rather than make the sneaker roll for every single guard as they take half an hour to deal with the rogue's scouting mission, the DM can simply set a DC based on the task that the sneak actually wants to accomplish.
etc.

For sure; if it's not an opposed roll the DM has an easy way to control difficulty, though they presumably don't want to move the DC in response to the rogue's modifier. There will still be some situations where you want to do an opposed roll, though. I'm just suggesting that the option of calling for a 2d10 check instead of a 1d20 check gives an elegant lever the DM can use to reduce but not remove the impact of luck on the outcome.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The issue I see with using advantage is that it's awkward to pick a threshold to start using it. I guess if you want one roll to represent a situation involving a sequence of discrete contests (so that even a +1 is very likely to win out in the long run), then granting one side advantage with any difference in mods could make sense, but picking any other spot to jump is arbitrary. Just using 2d10, at least for opposed checks that the DM deems relatively "low luck" gives you a nice smooth success curve. The only downside I see with it is that it's not part of the rules.

Yeah. The reason I asked that was [MENTION=2445]WaterRabbit[/MENTION] seemed bitter about having the guy with +0-2 beating the guys with +5-9 in a bunch of rolls. To me it seems reasonable that a +1 or 2 difference would have a good chance of loosing to the underdog. Heck, to me even +3 should have a decent chance of losing. However, once you get to +5 or higher difference in bonuses, it seems to me that the underdog would have a low chance of winning. At +5 difference, the win chance for the underdog is cut in half if you give advantage, but with 2d10 that cleric would still probably have won most of his games.

The other advantage that advantage has over 2d10 is that the players are already used to the mechanic. You're using a mechanic established and accepted by the players for 5e games to minimize the chances of an upset, rather than introducing something that is a more radical. If it's one thing that 4e showed us, it's that a lot of people are resistant to radical changes to D&D. Going with advantage will likely cause less disruption to the players and game.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

etc.

This is important I think. - Is it a case of "Since skills are a purely mundane, nonmagical expression of a character's abilities, there shouldn't be any reason why one class should be better at them than another"?
Why do you think the skill monkey class should not be better at skills than other classes? - That would help understand the best angle for houserules for you.

How do you feel about Garthanos' suggestion that expertise gives a special ability based on the skill rather than a numbers boost?
So a Rogue who wanted to have expertise in Stealth might pick the ability to move faster without taking a penalty to stealth checks, or to not be tracked, or to move into cover as part of the hiding action or similar rather than getting a bonus to their rolls.
Your first comment about stealth not necessarily a opposed check but rather a composite one is exactly what I was thinking that and a lot of factors go in size of area and complexity etc

I think I might enable appropriate abilities with expertise even if the expertise still enabled the number boost.

And I think having all classes gain expertise In a class appropriate skill at say level 5 sounds good too.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
2. Yes again. Although stealth has been my scapegoat in all this, as I said the same problem can exist with any of the skills. I have no issue with a rogue being as good as others, I just fail to see why they should have to potential to be better aside from a purely "let's give them something" idea.

That's exactly it. There is no reason why rogues or bards should have the potential to be better at skills than the other classes. There is also no justification for them to be "skill monkeys". To me, it is a lazy way to make them stand out in an unreasonable way. Both these classes are already the only ones who begin with more than two skills for their class. As it is, with a flat expertise bonus (say +2) they still have the potential to be better, but not a full +6 better as in RAW.

Now, when I say "skill monkey" I am fine with making them better in other ways. Like a REALLY neat feature for a Bard would be something where they can swap out a skill at every level like swapping out a known spell. Tired of knowing Medicine and interested in History? Swap them out. Given the nature of bardic knowledge, etc. that (or something akin to it) makes some sense IMO.

Avoids:
Yeah, the all are good things to avoid. I don't want to detract from rogues/bards as skill monkeys, but would rather find some other way to represent the idea than just boosting their numbers.

Sure, making the skills they are good at useful in other ways is great. Something that would make sense for a rogue/bard but not other classes. The difficult thing is just about anything I've thought of along these lines makes just as much sense of other classes, too. :(

Overall, consider the attack roll, ACs (IIRC), and bounded accuracy:

At Tier 1, the average opponent AC is 13 or so. Most characters will have a +4 or +5 to their attack roll, so need a 8 or 9.
At Tier 2, average opponent AC jumps to 15ish. Fine, most characters have gained a +2 or +3 to their attack roll, so still need about 8 or 9, give or take a point.
At Tier 3, AC rises to about 18, but characters keep pace via proficiency increase and ASI typically. They might need a bit more than 8 or 9, but only a point maybe in most cases.
At Tier 4, AC average is close to 21. Assuming max ability, characters are looking at +11. So, 9 or likely a 10. Not far from the 8 or 9 they needed back at level 1.

Now, look at DCs for checks. The max (in theory) is supposed to be 30 as I understand it. Which works fine and in a similar fashion to the attack roll versus ACs. At high levels, PCs have about a 50/50 chance or better to accomplish a Hard (DC 20) task. Personally, I am fine with that. I don't want Hard to become "Mundane". But...

You throw expertise as number boost and now a Hard task becomes easy. Giving bards and rogues a boost equal to proficiency at lower levels is nice and not overwhelming, but as levels increase and the skill jumps two points each time instead of one, it becomes more of an issue.

Anyway, it has been a long day at work and I need food. More to come later. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
How often does purely random chance determine the results is the complaint and that isnt found by computing a mean/median, it is how often the die rolls vary more than determined factors however that too isnt good enough as arguably it only feels strange when random chance doesnt agree with a more deterministic result which makes it slightly different here is the formula for opposed d20s

n(n+1)/2 * 1/400

for a range where n = 11,+1 vs +8 = 16.5 percent
for a range of where n = 12, +1 vs +7 = 78 out of 400 (19.5 percent )

this is how often extraneous factors are assumed to interject.

Admitting my math might be bad this morning...

So, Garthanos, if you have a contested roll between A (higher) and B (lower), and the difference between their modifiers is "N", then the percentages are:

Higher Wins: 1 - (20-N)*(21-N)/ 800
Tied Result: (20-N)/ 400
Lower Wins: (19-N)*(20-N)/ 800

Suppose A is +12, and B is +5, so N = 7.

A wins: 1 - (20 - 7)*(21 - 7)/800 = 1 - (13*14)/800 = 0.7725 or 77.25%
Tied: (20 - 7)/ 400 = 0.0325 or 3.25%
B wins: (19 - 7)*(20 - 7)/800 = (12 * 13)/800 = 0.195 or 19.5%

It is a nice way to figure the odds on a contested roll. :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So, Garthanos, if you have a contested roll between A (higher) and B (lower), and the difference between their modifiers is "N", then the percentages are:

Higher Wins: 1 - (20-N)*(21-N)/ 800
Tied Result: (20-N)/ 400
Lower Wins: (19-N)*(20-N)/ 800

Suppose A is +12, and B is +5, so N = 7.

A wins: 1 - (20 - 7)*(21 - 7)/800 = 1 - (13*14)/800 = 0.7725 or 77.25%
Tied: (20 - 7)/ 400 = 0.0325 or 3.25%
B wins: (19 - 7)*(20 - 7)/800 = (12 * 13)/800 = 0.195 or 19.5%

It is a nice way to figure the odds on a contested roll. :)

I was doing B wins as a potential bad state if it is subjectively too high....

Remove ads