Proficiency with Sun Blade

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Since a sun blade, according to its description, can be used by those who can use either a shortsword or a bastard sword, I have a few questions regarding its use:

*Can a sun blade benefit from feats a character may have with a short sword, such as Weapon Focus or Weapon Finesse?

*Since a sun blade is bastard sword-sized, I presume that Small-sized characters who can use a shortsword must use the sun blade two-handed (though they wouldn't nave any pealties for nonproficiency)?

*Can a sun blade be treated as a light weapon for Medium-sized characters?

Just curious on how the mechanics would work on this. Appreciate any info you could provide.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:

*Can a sun blade benefit from feats a character may have with a short sword, such as Weapon Focus or Weapon Finesse?

From the SRD:
This sword is the size of a bastard sword. However, its enchantment enables the sun blade to be wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.) Any individual able to use either a bastard sword or a short sword with proficiency is proficient in the use of a sun blade. Likewise, Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization in short sword and bastard sword apply equally.

Taking this into account, Weapon Focus is a definite yes. As a DM, I'd take the "ease of use" to mean that Weapon Finesse is okay too, though it doesn't specifically mention that.

*Since a sun blade is bastard sword-sized, I presume that Small-sized characters who can use a shortsword must use the sun blade two-handed (though they wouldn't nave any pealties for nonproficiency)?

Again, since the Sun Blade handles like a short sword regarding weight and ease of use I'd say small characters can wield it in one hand, just as they can wield a short sword, but you raise a good point, and I wouldn't argue with a DM who ruled it that way.

*Can a sun blade be treated as a light weapon for Medium-sized characters?

Using the same reasoning again (ease of use and weight,) I'd rule yes. Though because a Sun Blade is physically bigger than a light weapon, I can see a DM ruling that it's still too bulky to be used as such.

Hope that helped. :)

Last edited:

bret

First Post
My reading of the magic item is a user can use it in all ways as if it were a short sword or bastard sword.

People who use Two Weapon Fighting with short swords probably spend their life questing for such weapons.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
bret said:
My reading of the magic item is a user can use it in all ways as if it were a short sword or bastard sword.

People who use Two Weapon Fighting with short swords probably spend their life questing for such weapons.
At least if their alignment is compatible with the sun blade. :cool:

Creeperman

First Post
Now, to toss a wrench into the proceedings, what might happen if a wielder of a Sun Blade happened to have Focus and Specialization in both short sword and bastard sword? Would the attack and damage bonuses stack, since they're unnamed? Or can you apply only one proficiency (and focus, and specialization) to any one weapon at any one time?

graydoom

First Post
I'd first note that even when the bonus is unnamed, the bonus from an effect doesn't stack with itself.
Then I'd note that it just wouldn't make sense to use both... you're using as either a bastard sword or a short sword at any one time, not both.
I doubt anyone would allow both Focuses or Specialization to apply to stack on the same weapon at the same time. For balance reasons, if nothing else.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
graydoom said:
I'd first note that even when the bonus is unnamed, the bonus from an effect doesn't stack with itself.

Are you SURE of that? I'm pretty sure that unnamed bonuses are the only ones that DO always stack (except for Dodge and the particular case of armour +shield(armour) bonuses).

In fact, I've just checked in the SRD (magic overview) and it says

A bonus that isn't named (just a "+2 bonus" rather than a "+2 resistance bonus") stacks with any named bonus or any other unnamed one.

Mind you, I agree completely with you that it doesn't make sense to use both - the fighter is either using it like a shortsword or like a bastard sword, but not like both at the same time.

Cheers

Remove ads