• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Profitability of Online Distribution?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Lemur,

Considering I paid almost 8 dollars for a movie that I could have gotten free over the net, you tell me which is the bigger rip.

Bacris

First Post
I definitely think the trend of paying for online content is becoming more accepted. Consider the "Community Supporter" accounts, not just here at ENWorld, but at other sites, where you get "perks" for putting in a monthly or yearly fee?

Sites like iTunes, Vongo, hell, even Yahoo! Music, are becoming more common because it's becoming more accepted. Society is pretty slow to come around to these concepts and, although the regulars on sites such as this have been here for years, consider even ten years ago and just how common cellular / mobile phones were compared to today. Sure, they have new gadgets and gizmos and sleeker looks, but the technology for reliable mobile phone coverage was there - what was lacking was consumer buy-in.

Online products are moving up in the same fashion. The D20 publishing bubble might have burst due to the inundation of publishers finally reaching critical mass, but the medium of online distribution for RPG content is definitely becoming more viable as people become more accepting of paying for and receiving content via the Internet.

And yes, digital content is far, far easier to work with, update, and distribute than printed material.

Bacris

First Post
LOL, um, no. Although I wouldn't turn down freelance work for them if the opportunity arose, I don't think I'd want to work on RPGs full-time, it'd interfere with my true passion of computer systems :) It would take a crowbar and a sledgehammer or a VERY hefty pay increase to get me to leave my current job ;)

Nightfall

Jeremy,

Freelancing is fine. I just don't want you to be a corporate shill man. *Not saying that the freelancers ARE just saying the management people are...something not nice.*

Go for it and I promise to keep buying Dreamscarred.

Nightfall

Frosty,

Joel of the "new" Ravenloft fan site can explain it better than I can. But basically the guy in charge of WotC is the SAME guy that ran Coke Cola when they did "New Coke."

Frostmarrow

First Post
Nightfall said:
Frosty,

Joel of the "new" Ravenloft fan site can explain it better than I can. But basically the guy in charge of WotC is the SAME guy that ran Coke Cola when they did "New Coke."

Thanks!

So, this means WoTC will re-release Dungeon and Dragon after the EI fails, if history is to repeat itself. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads