• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Progressing character backgrounds as the campaign progresses

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
Whenever I create a character, or have players create characters, a full story (or as much as the player can devise) is done, and then the character is discussed with the DM. I also have a character summary sheet that I use for my novels that I have the players follow (or attempt to anyhow) when they design their characters. That gives my plenty of ideas to start and to plan for. An added bonus: our group is filled with highly creative players that provide enough material session to session to propel the game forward.

A suggestion given to me by my first DM (and the guy that trained me): Listen to what the characters say out of character and they will give you plenty of ideas on how to keep the game interesting, and encounters they would enjoy... and they won't even realize theya re doing it.

MonsterMash

First Post
I prefer it to be players elaborating on the existing background or adding things that fit to how the campaign is progressing. In the campaign I'm playing in I have a cleric who is trying to establish a church of his god and working with the DM I want to establish the leading personalities in the congregation, partly to flesh things out - e.g. instead of saying I talk to the leader of the congregation in town one, it can be named NPCs and also as it does allow plot hooks to be created.

Remove ads