Projected map vs. terrain objects

Which 'enhanced battlemat' would you prefer?

B4cchus

Explorer
Hi all!

For a while I have been contemplating two options to enhance my battlemaps.
In one hand there is the projected map where electronic maps are projected on the table by means of a beamer. Examples of this can be found here

In the other hand I am thinking of brining dungeons and other terrain to life with models such as dungeon walls, doors, rocks, trees, etc.
In this case I am thinking of casting things with Hirst Arts mold. Examples of this can be found in this thread and more info on constructing dungeon object with casted blocks is found here.

I've made a short list of cons and pros for each option:

Projection
Pro's:
-Works faster during play.
-No limitation on types of terrain
-It's also possible to use nice and easy templates for spells and such (e.g. a fireball)

Con's:
-High set up cost
-Editing maps for adventures remains time consuming for each new map (masking secret doors, scaling the map to the right scale, etc).
-The rig is somewhat fixed to one location (can't easily take it with you and set it up at a friend’s place)
-Requires the use of a computer/laptop at the table (this is a con for me personally)

Terrain objects
Pro's
-Terrain objects speak more to the imagination since it's in 3D!
-Once a good set of objects are present it requires little work (apart from an occasional unique new piece)
Relatively cheap

Con's
-The available terrain limits the map (e.g. of you don't have a round wall you can't use a round tower)
-A lot of initial work (creating the objects)
-Still delays play (setting up objects as the map grows)

So what would be your personal favorite and why?
Also, if you have other con's and pro's that I can take in to the equation i'd be happy to hear them!

Regards,
B4cchus

Herzog

Adventurer
I voted 'map projections', although I am also considering using the projections in 'electronic whiteboard' mode....

That would reduce the preperation time/requirement (would make it the same as with normally drawn battlemap) while at the same time allowing for fireball templates etc.
The initial equipment cost and difficulty to move the equipment remain the same, of course.....

Herzog

Drkfathr1

First Post
I like 3D terrain too. There are lots of very affordable options, and for me, part of the fun is in building/painting/designing it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Terrain is fun for several reasons:

it adds to your players' use of 3D stuff, like chairs and tables and walls
it looks cool
you and your players get to touch it
it can be fun to build, especially if you have kids and they get into it with you

Project is good for:
more control over the map
DDI will likely come with pre-made maps for adventures you buy (we don't KNOW this, though).

I like the 3d stuff, myself, but if DDI is really, really good, it might be good to go with projected if you use a lot of WotC modules/adventures.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Tough call!

In the end I'd probably go with projection. Molded terrain takes up a fair amount of space to store because it's fragile. Besides, there are tons of gorgeous 1" scale tiles in digital format that you can't really replicate in any other way at the table.

Finally, there's nothing stopping you from using both projection and terrain at the same time.
-blarg

DonTadow

First Post
I had that same decisions two years ago and at first, I chose the terrain.

Big mistake.

The cost to set up is a lot higher over a period of time and the time to set it up is a lot longer. I'd have been better off drawing. YOu also are limited to doing things on the fly as anything outside of what you have prpeared may take 10 to 20 minutes to set up.

I ended up scrapping it (and wasting a ton of time and money building the models) and saved up for a cheapo projector. The projector was 500 bucks, the harness was 100 and the white out curtain was 10. We've been using it a year and a half now and its been very satisfactory. I"m able to set up tons of maps ahead of time using maptools, an open source project at rptools.net. And with all the neat stuff that thing can do, i have eliminated the need to purchase tokens of any kind, instead the pcs have their own mouse and light pointers. We're using 3d gifs as character tokens while the other npcs get flat tokens.

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
I, too, vote for projection, for many of the reasons listed above. Also, if you have 3d terrain, some portions of the map might be difficult to see for some players.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
I vote for terrain, but I am a bit biased on the subject! ;)

If the cast-yourself route is too expensive, you may wish to consider cardstock terrain like we produce (here ends the shameless plug...)

FATDRAGONGAMES said:
I vote for terrain, but I am a bit biased on the subject! ;)

If the cast-yourself route is too expensive, you may wish to consider cardstock terrain like we produce (here ends the shameless plug...)

I saw the Fat Dragon Games terrain at Gen Con. It’s nice because once you buy the pdf you can set up some pretty expansive dungeons on the cheap. (The caverns set is neat.)

Remove ads