• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Proposal: 1e Potion Miscibility Rules as a House Rule

VirgilCaine

First Post
If anyone remembers these, good for you.

The gist of it is this: whenever you either mix two potions together or imbibe one potion while under the effects of another, you roll on the table, with consequences that range from an explosion, lethal poison, a mild poison, the potions fully or partially canceling each other, nothing happening, one potion working at 150% efficacy, or one of the potions permanently effecting the imbiber.

I'm thinking of using this rule as a house rule in my 3.x homebrew campaign world.

Any thoughts on this?

DaveStebbins

First Post
We've actually used this in my campaign, straight from the 1E DMG. The only thing I would suggest is changing the "one potion becomes permanent" item. With the buff spells often used in potions, I would change it to a very long duration (a week/month/year of game time) but not make it permanent.

My players today haven't discovered the options, but in one of my old 1E campaigns, the PCs freely mixed potions externally, usually using an unseen servant. The mixed potions could then be identified to find out how well it worked. In 3E, with lots of funds and the brew potion feat, it might not take very much time or money to create a potion which gives a permanent +2 to +5 (or +4 in 3.5E) to one stat, which would be a very major magic item.

-Dave

VirgilCaine

First Post
thanks.
That "permanency" only happens on double-oughts, so I'm not going to worry about that.

"Buff spells"--do you mean the stat-boosting or Spider Climb, non-ability buffs?

Last edited:

Remove ads