proposal: adjustment to time XP

EvolutionKB

First Post
I'm inclined to vote no on this as well. Speedy advancement is fun, I agree, but too fast is another. By doubling RPs you are lessening the encounters that people can use their cool abilities and for DMs lessening the times the cool abilities of PCs can be used in different situations.

As a PC and as a DM I'd rather see PCs use their abilities in different and fun situations rather than seeing them used once or twice before leveling and gaining more abilties. The proposal would put more challenge on DMs because of rapidly changing abilties and less encounters per level to make the encounters for that level be less challenging and fun.

Edit: I used to post religiously 1/day. I know what it took and I see where KD is coming from. I got frustrated sometimes as well. I had so much fun doing it. My games on enworld were all the gaming I got, and I couldn't understand how other couldn't have 15 min a day to make a post. Now that I'm busier in RL it's about 1/3 days. I hope KD gains more of a life to see how sweet things can really be ;)

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I hope KD gains more of a life to see how sweet things can really be ;)

Let's see. At my peak last month (pre-one of my fellow gamers having a baby and our 3 table games per week got canceled since he was DM for 2 of them), I was working 40+ hours per week, taking my daughter to her activities and sticking around for them 7 hours per week, posting here several hours per week (a single round often takes 1 to 2 hours of prep work as a DM here), table gaming for 10 to 12 hours per week (my wife and daughter played in one of those games, woo hoo), playing Xbox (or other family activities) with my wife/daughter 2 to 4 hours per week, exercising a half hour per day, going to various ball games once or twice a month, going to the movies with family and friends a couple times per month, and watching a dozen or so TV shows that I enjoy every week. Plus chores (the biggest one being remodeling my basement at the moment), errands, sleeping, and driving time (which alone averages close to an hour per day due to me living out in the boonies). ;)

There is plenty of time to have a full life and do whatever you want. 5-15 minutes a day as a player here? Piece of cake if that is one of your preferred hobbies. Some people who say otherwise are being disingenuous. That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree. It's like people who claim that they don't have enough time to exercise every week. That's a personal choice, not a limit of time for most people. Like many things in life, being a player in a group here is a commitment and not a heavy one at that. It can be done instead of watching commercials on TV, or while eating lunch at work (especially if one posts from work only). DMing here is more of a commitment. But if one cannot find the time, then maybe he should back off from some of his commitments here so that he can have "more of a life" elsewhere. Like watching the boob tube for 4 hours every night.

In reality, this proposal is about speeding up the slow games. Every player being committed would assist in that. If a given player cannot be committed for a given period of time (yup, things happen in life), he should tell the other players so that they don't sit around waiting for him to post. If a given player cannot be committed for an extended period of time (like CaBaNa couldn't over the summer), then he should bow out. But, just disappearing for a few days or a week or more without telling anyone is not cool IMO.

Another possibility is to have "fast games" and "slow games" by design. When proposing the adventure, the DM states which it is. If a player is in a fast game, that person is expected to post every day (except maybe weekends). A slow game is designed to allow players that have more personal conflicts to post at a more leisurely pace. That way, everyone knows up front what is expected and the chance of frustration might be lessened.

Another possibility is to have more shorter adventures. Some people are able to commit for a month or two, but 6 months is out of the question for them. Another advantage of this is that players would be able to have different DMs and different other players in some of the adventures and hence, would get to interact with more people here.

Do you have any other suggestions Evo that don't involve my lifestyle? :lol:

PS. Sheeva and Feall have gotten 1 level in the last 11 months here (10 months for Feall). When they do level, they'll be jumping from level 5 to level 7 (and possibly most of the way to 8th) which is a huge jump in power. That's an entire level that we don't get to play them. I suggest that we work on a proposal to ensure that PCs can level the moment they get enough XP, even if it is within the same game day.

evilbob

Explorer
"Posting frequency" isn't something likely to change. You can ask people, you can discuss with them, you can confront them - but some of that stuff is set in stone. People's lives change. Folks drop in and out. That's the nature of the beast; we have to work around that.

Some people are good at opening dialog and discussing things without confrontation. Others aren't. I'd rather have a solution for everyone that doesn't involve forcing people through that door. Remember - not everyone here has the same skill sets.

Example: group A gains 1 level per 3 months. Fast. Group B gains 1 level per 6 months. Slow. Let's say time XP gains you 1 level over 6 months.

With time XP, Group A gained 1 level in 3, 1 in 3, and 1 for 6 months of time. That's 3 levels over 6 months. Group B gained 1 in 6, and 1 for 6 months of time. That's 2. 3:2

Without time, Group A gained 2 levels over 6 months and group B gained 1. 2:1

3:2 > 2:1

This is very simplistic but the math holds up under more complex circumstances. Time XP favors slow groups: fact.

When it comes to "people might level too fast" - I submit this is impossible. It takes weeks or months for most encounters, much less levels. This is still nowhere near tabletop. Plus, people can always make second characters if they want more lower-level play. No, I submit that leveling too fast is impossible, but leveling too slowly is. (As I said in the L4W thread: the game goes to level 30 for a reason!)

r1, thanks for clarifying the "gain 4 RP to start a 2nd character" rule. I would have no problem changing that back to "gained 5 RP" instead if that makes sense to everyone.

FourMonos

First Post
Okay, so I noticed that EB has made several proposals on L4W and LEB. From this, I surmise there is a master plan at work, and he is slowly taking over the world. I see two options:
A) We report him to a higher authority. Most likely this is r1
B) We willingly become his minions now and reap the benifits of his evil plans.

I vote B. :)

On a more serious note: If this goes through, will we need to change the time to make a second character proposal (changed from one level to one level or 4RP). My understanding of the 4 RP was put in place to ensure the posters were committed (four months of posting time) and not going to disappear. Shortening the time requirement (faster RP) to make a second character goes against the previous sentiment.

As always, appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

evilbob

Explorer
Gah, you've figured out my plan! FourMonos, I need to you step into this dark room for a moment... :p

Actually, changing the value of the RPs should not change the speed at which they are acquired.

FourMonos

First Post
stonegod, no disrespect, but didn't you notice that r1 hit vampire status? He has got Twilight fans and emo teens to do his bidding now. You can't mess with that kind of power...

Yeah, oh YEAH! I can do everything! - sg

Last edited by a moderator:

evilbob

Explorer
Oooo, burnt. And here I'm just some thing no one can pronounce.

He means to say that stonegod is dream. -evilbob (not stonegod, really)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases