proposal: adjustment to time XP

LadyLaw

First Post
I'm voting against this option with my not real vote. If you change things that way it extends my wait for another PC by 3 months. I would be very sad... ( I currently have earned 3-ish RP in Love Lost, I'd need to earn 5 more under the new system... which is another 3 months)

Yea, but I think Vel said Pis will still gain a level, even if he's dead, so you'd meet the secondary requirement. Unless they took that away, but I didn't think they did.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
RP values is determined when they ate spent, not when they are rewarded. One could keep tally of two different RP pools of course.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
A solution would be for the proposal to not be double their value, but rather double the number awarded. i.e. 2 RP's/month of gaming (4 for DM's). We would need to change that other proposal about 2nd PC's to 8 RP's to account for this change also.

It's still a bit squirrely.

Do we make it retroactive which is a bookkeeping nightmare, or do players who recently joined get a benefit that earlier players did not have?

I also still do not see where this really addresses the original issue of slow campaigns vs. fast campaigns. It makes them slightly slow campaigns vs. slightly faster campaigns by adding a single level to each PC per real year.

I'd also be interested to see the facts as to "slow campaigns". At the moment, the rules are: "someone can create a second PC after 4 months, i.e. 4 RP gained").

Are there really adventures out there where in 4 months, there are not 3 same level encounters (or 2 harder encounters) including skill challenges? Are there really PCs that are not advancing at least 2 levels per real year and more typically, 3 or 4 levels per real year (considering that 1.2 levels are automatic)?

If so, maybe we should have a discussion with the DMs and players of the adventures. The DMs control the pace of the adventure and the DM/players control the pace of posting messages to the board.

I do know that it is a bit annoying that Sheeva has leveled 1 level in 11 months. But, I also know that she should be jumping 2+ levels at our next extended rest (hint, hint, renau1g ;) ). This, however, to me is a PC advancement issue that the DM could be a bit more proactive in arranging, not a problem with the overall advancement pace.

evilbob

Explorer
With my L4W character (different forum, I grant you) I leveled twice in 3 months with one group and then zero times in 5 months with another. Groups vary wildly. This helps address that issue.

You can't monitor each game and approach each DM when they're not measuring up to a standard; it isn't practical and judges don't have the time. (You also can't rely on player complaints because that's an undue social burden on the players.) Better to correct the disparity globally and let DMs retain autonomy.

evilbob

Explorer
r1: So you're basically arguing that some people's bonus wouldn't be as great as others' bonuses? To me, the response is: but we all get a bonus. Be happy going forward! :)

I admit I'm not passionate either way about it; to me, I think doubling RP value is the simplest solution and it will help everyone immediately, so that's what I'm in favor of. If some are worried that there will be jealousy because some people happened to have a greater store of RPs at the moment this was enacted (a one-time effect, mind you) and will therefore benefit more greatly, I don't really like the argument but I wouldn't stand in the way of it; I'd rather this pass than get hung up on what I feel is a minor detail.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
But what about those that used their RP's (like in my Moonwatch game)?

I'm not sure if I am answering your question or not, but it occurred to me later this morning that the math of the retroactive RP issue is easy, but the parcel is not.

For the math, total up the number of months a non-dropped PC was played and hand out that many RP to the player of that PC for that PC. The retroactive bonus RP can be spent after the PC leaves his current adventure (so that a PC doesn't level unexpectedly on the DM). The issue becomes one of then handling out additional parcels to the PC (who decides that, the current DM, or the previous DM???).

I'm also wondering if the player RP adjustment affects the DM RP adjustment. The purpose for the DM RP adjustment is to award DMs for going the extra mile of DMing (which for those who have not done this, it IS a lot of work). Do we double the DM RPs as well?

renau1g

First Post
r1: So you're basically arguing that some people's bonus wouldn't be as great as others' bonuses? To me, the response is: but we all get a bonus. Be happy going forward! :)

Just wanted to bring up a point. More to see how some feel about it. [MENTION=13739]Velmont[/MENTION], [MENTION=47833]EvolutionKB[/MENTION].

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases