proposal: change death penalty

raion

First Post
I'd be in favor of a sanity check on penalty duration. Six months seems a reasonable duration..

As a side note, arguments regarding keeping house rules minimal seem irrelevant, as there's already a house rule on this topic.

renau1g

First Post
House rule? Which one? I'm only aware of the house rule to give free expertise-esque bonus at 5th, and some restrictions on non-Eberron Divinity feats.

evilbob

Explorer
This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones or four real-life months have passed since the character was raised.

Eh?

twilsemail

First Post
This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones or four real-life months have passed since the character was raised.

Eh?

I think this promotes players avoiding encounters far too much.

Heck, I could sit in the Tavern for 2 months and not deal with the death penalty. I think the mark needs to be set with IC events, not the passage of time out here in the Desert of the Real. Much like the community changed the OOC reward of a second PC to be based on OOC events, this should stay IC. IMO at least.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think this promotes players avoiding encounters far too much.

Heck, I could sit in the Tavern for 2 months and not deal with the death penalty. I think the mark needs to be set with IC events, not the passage of time out here in the Desert of the Real. Much like the community changed the OOC reward of a second PC to be based on OOC events, this should stay IC. IMO at least.

I think EB meant 4 months of adventuring.

Personally, I'm not too keen on the idea, but if it is going to be voted in, I prefer 6 months of adventuring or 6 encounters (including skill challenges), whichever comes first. That way, nobody gets hit with the infinite one encounter per day syndrome, but on the other hand, it is still a penalty.

evilbob

Explorer
No, he was right: I meant months, regardless of whether or not you're sitting in the tavern.

I think this is acceptable because when you're in the tavern, you're not playing. If you want to sit in the tavern for 4 months to avoid a -1 to rolls, then frankly you're hurting yourself far worse than the -1 penalty.

Again: to me, not playing is the worst penalty you can have. It's much worse than -1 to whatever. This is also why I think any penalty on top of "being dead and waiting to get rez'd" is gratuitous, but I seem to be standing alone on that one. :)

CaBaNa

First Post
Alright, I'm formally making a few proposals within evilbob's proposal thread.

Proposal A: the penalty for being raised via Raise Dead is:

The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones, or 4 RP.

Proposal B: the penalty for being raised via Raise Dead is:

The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones or 6 RP.

Proposal C: the penalty for being raised via Raise Dead is:

The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after the subject completes 6 encounters.

Proposal D: the penalty for being raised via Raise Dead is:

The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after 6 months of RL time.

Proposal E: the penalty for being raised via Raise Dead is:

Nothing, save for the cost of the ritual, and the time it took to raise the character.

Feel free to make progress from here.

EDIT: If the proposal to double RP passes, consider the RP quota above to double as well.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I agree that there should be a penalty for death, and that it should be scary.

That said, a year of -1 to most any check is a little over the top.

I doubt it would drive someone away entirely, but it could influence their decision to scrap a character.

I'm not asking to lessen the penalty itself, just put a limit on it's possible time-span.

Three milestones, or 4/5/6 months of play, instead of three milestones, or however long it takes.

Not a problem for me, but in the 'sister' living world, LEW, one character let his character die with the DM's ok to be 'botch-resurrected' as one of his ancestors. He switched characters (loosing xp) and got a Death Penalty nonetheless. Our first encounter know is with a level 12 dragon (we are 3-5 level). I think we will rest after the encounter. Such an actual play example of how harsh the penalty can be.

BTW, what are '4 RP'?

Remove ads