Proposal: Changes to some conventions in the new wiki

Kalidrev

First Post
Awesome sauce and a can of whoop ass! I like that feature! I'll wait for this to go through, then I'll move my character's sheets.

renau1g

First Post
After having migrated all the wiki pages over to the current location I can tell you I don't look forward to having to move them again...is this just for the PCs?

weldon

Explorer
After having migrated all the wiki pages over to the current location I can tell you I don't look forward to having to move them again...is this just for the PCs?
Thank you so much for moving everything over. The wiki is such a great resource and I am really grateful that you saved it.

As part of my proposal, I will volunteer to move the PC pages. It is actually really important that no one rename/move their pages before the namespace is set up. The page might stop working if it is named "PC:something" and then the "PC:" namespace is created.

As for the rest of the pages, I am looking into running a bot (there are several projects to start from) that can run through all the pages and automate the task of stripping off the "L4W:" prefix.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I wanted this back on ENWorld (though I recognized the confusion it would cause). Now that there's no confusion in it, I say, "GO FOR IT!" YES!YES!YES!

Especially if Weldon is on the hook for doing the moving.

Note: This only counts as one vote. The multiplicity is for emphasis only.

weldon

Explorer
Update

The proposal to use the custom namespace "PC:" has been approved. I think it will work out well to have character sheets in their own namespace. They clearly belong together and are distinct from other pages.

I have exchanged emails with the support folks at wikia.com and they are ready to set this up for us. However, we only get a limited number (3) of custom namespaces. It will be simpler for wikia.com support to create them at the same time if we decide we want to use 1 or 2 more custom namespaces.

So before I go ahead and ask wikia.com support to create the "PC:" namespace, I thought I would open this back up for more discussion to see if we want to create additional custom namespaces at the same time, even if we don't start moving pages over until later.

Here's what I think will work...

PC: - player character pages.
TI: - Setting info pages. I would use "Setting:" but "TI:" for Transitive Isles is shorter. "Setting:" is more obvious to new people, but anyone would still need to read about the wiki conventions before titling their pages anyways.

I'm not sure what to do about NPCs. I don't think they belong in the PC: namespace, but I could make arguments for using "TI:" and a category of "NPC" or using a new "NPC:" namespace.

Does anyone see a need for additional namespaces?

I think we need one more namespace for pages that are about L4W. For pages like the "character creation guide" and "adventure submission guide" and so on. Rather than use a custom namespace for this, we can use {{ns:4}} , which is the built-in project namespace.

As an aside - by default, the project namespace is called "L4W Wiki:" - the name of the wiki. if I can strip the "L4W:" prefix from all pages first, we could rename {{ns:4}} to "L4W:" instead and use that for the project pages (the wiki name itself would remain "L4W Wiki").

Anyone else have an opinion on additional custom namespaces?

LadyLaw

First Post
What about tracking? There is tracking for DM Credits and when it comes into play there will be tracking for exp from retired characters, so that is an option. I think that would be something that would be nice to be clear and separated so that if people have their own pages there's an easy space for them. Just a thought.

weldon

Explorer
I think "Adventures" would make sense for a custom namespace. Do we want to shorten that to "Adv:" so we stick to 2 or 3 letter prefixes?

weldon

Explorer
What about tracking?
The current practice is to put all the tracking info on the character page and I think this works reasonably well.

I'm not sure what people do with DM credits, but I believe that they don't show up in the wiki until a DM cashes them in on one of her characters. Then the XP award is noted with a link back to the forum post where the award was made by a judge. Since the awards really happen in the forums, I don't think we need a separate page for tracking info. We can just add that section on to character pages.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases