D&D 5E Proposal for my DM

BoldItalic

First Post
Assuming, arguendo, you used the table, wouldn't you have to do more than reverse the numbers? While our economy is much less frictionless than a supposed medieval economy, the price paid to a (retail) seller of an item and a price a (retail) buyer pays are not the same.

In other words, if an adventurer sells his awesome Mithral Armor to a merchant, I don't think the merchant (out of the goodness of his heart) will sell the item at cost to the next adventurer who needs one. Merchant probably has some mouths to feed, rent to pay, and flagons of ale to quaff.
Yup. Most of the prices in my table are more than the 500 base price, which is more than the 100-500 the merchant would have paid out if the original owner had used the selling procedure. The only exception is the 300gp price from a shady seller who probably stole it anyway and will likely skip town with your 300gp and a smile on his face.

I didn't reverse the dice roll numbers, I inverted the price factors, so half-base-price (for selling) became double-base-price (for buying), and so on.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
I smell a quest to go and find enough mithral to have the smith craft you some. It is a win/win. You get the armor and your dm has a quest for the party. This could even be a 2nd quest for finding the super smith who can forge this or the super forge location that can make it in one day if you can reach it.
Oh that would definitely be the most fun solution if you ask me!

If your DM doesn't place an item or have it offered up for sale, chances are he's thought better of letting you have it.

If you want to wear chain and not take a stealth penalty, you can wear a chain shirt. You could even kit yourself out in full chain or just the shirt depending on what sort of challenges you anticipate for the coming adventure. Shirt for stealthy raids and exploration, full mail for pitched battles.

That's the kind of practical equipment choices you can make when you're not boxed into always wearing the best magical armor that's dropped so far just to keep up with level-appropriate AC.

This is how i was originally going to role play it. But then donning and modding the chain armor on and off might get really old for the rest of the party, which would lead to me doing it less and less in order to avoid boring them. I still remember their reactions when i tried stealthing before most of the encounters back in 4E :p

An uncommon but still mundane armor will neither break the game (no extra AC), nor upset game play (no donning it on and off).

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is how i was originally going to role play it. But then donning and modding the chain armor on and off might get really old for the rest of the party
Really? It seems like a quick and trivial bit of bookkeeping, much less of a PITA than prepping spells at the start of the day, for instance.

I still remember their reactions when i tried stealthing before most of the encounters
They had something against group stealth checks? Honor issues with attacking by surprise? ;)

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
They had something against group stealth checks? Honor issues with attacking by surprise? ;)

They are the charge blindly forward types. Anything that slows down the combat encounter is not looked upon with favor. Even with "stealthy" armor i would be wise not to try stealth more then every other combat encounter. But being a fighter, it's not surprise or combat advantage that i strive to get with the armor. I mostly like to try acting as the group scout and add some role playing flavor to the PC (my background story involves a history of family assassinations attempts and he tries to avoid being seen or recognized when ever possible - i.e. when in urban areas he always wears the hood as low as possible).

Remove ads