Proposal: Manual of the Planes

ryryguy

First Post
Here's what I have put together thus far.

Far to the north (FAR to the north) is a Far Land called Valhyr, the Frozen Continent.

[snip]

What do you think?

Hmmm, I've been kicking around with putting a Viking/cold location on Ea:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/258548-questions-about-ea-letheon.html

I would not want to step on Valhyr, which is very cool. The main reason I've been eyeing Ea is I want an aberration tie in, for druids to oppose. Yay, Viking druids!

So two ideas off the top of my head:

1) Valhyr is indeed part of Ea, the northern part, and the "angels" aren't really angels at all, but were rather the vanguard of the illithid invasion there (or some other flavors of aberrations). An aberrant/Far Realm source would certainly fit the madness of the Einherjar! (But maybe this would be stuffing too much into Ea, where there's already plenty going on.)

2) Groups from Valhyr settled the northern reaches of Ea at some point in the past. This could have happened a long time ago, so the cultures are a little bit divergent (i.e., Valhyr is to Ea North as Norway is to Iceland/Greenland). Or, these could have been recent refugees from the angelic madness - bad luck for them to get caught in another war just a few decades later!

ryryguy

First Post
Ok, I went ahead and added some stuff to the wiki, going with option #2:

Valhyr

Surtyr

Surtyr, the Ean colony, is also northern and cold and Viking, but volcanic. So it's like Iceland.

I like this because although the story of Valhyr is very cool and it seems like a great inspiration for adventures, it seems a little limited for use in PC backgrounds. You can be a refugee from there, but if you came originally forty years ago, you're kind of old. If you're one of the "born on the boats" types (which I called "Seaborn"), that's an interesting story but it seems like you'd be somewhat cut off from the Viking culture. And if you come directly from modern Valhyr, well then you're probably an insane berserker who kills everyone on site, probably not welcome in most parties. :)

Not to say that clever people won't be able to fit in some interesting backgrounds around that, but a straightforward "I was born in a Viking land and I'm basically a Viking" is kind of hard. You can do that easier with Surtyr, which though under serious threat from the gith war, has not completely fallen yet.

I haven't edited some of the character creation material yet, like to put in notes for goliaths and bladelings. I also haven't come up with backgrounds for these locations. Since those actually affect game rules, I assume they require a proposal?

Remove ads