Proposal: New Tavern Thread for Adventures in Avenroc

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
All, I'm proposing to open up "The Crystal Mug" as a tavern scene for adventures set in Avenroc. Descriptions of "The Crystal Mug" and the settlement of Rioc Alair can be found on The Far Lands page. A backstory to the setting canbe found on my blog, "Avenroc". I, personally, am not an approved DM here, but I thought I'd offer the idea up anyway. Read the segments and let me know what you think. I'm sure to be adding details to the setting, and I welcome anyone else's input and/or creativity.

Do I need anyone to approve this. If so, let me know the rules (or where to find them).

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I think we're better off sticking with one central thread. Most people are going to want to join individual adventures, no matter where they are, not adventures in a specific Far Land.

ukingsken

First Post
I think you should definitely create this tavern, but have the recruiting happen here in Daunton and have the adventurers meet you in Avenroc at the Crystal Mug for the adventure debrief. That way we dont have another thread specifically recruiting for only one place, but you get to keep the flavor!

Atanatotatos

First Post
Far Lands are supposed to be, er, very far away and difficult to reach from Daunton, so meeting at the Hanged Man and then briefing at the Crystal Mug after one hour sounds a bit strange...
On the other hand, should another tavern open there, the characters starting in "Avenroc" would be totally isolated from the rest of the PCs of L4W.
It doesn't seem such a great idea to me. The center of the this setting is Daunton.

CaBaNa

First Post
The center of the setting is Daunton.

However, if the Portal in "The Hanged Man" could be programmable... Always taking "in" from sister Taverns, but the Bartender can program the "out" to any specific sister Tavern.
"The Drowned Man", and "The Electrocuted Man", and "The Burned Man", can have characters coming in from far lands, and going out from far lands.

I don't propose that we change it, just throwing everyone an idea.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Honestly, I think far lands are far lands for a reason. They should be Far. Really far. Adding in the characteristic of the shifting seas (that they're "shifting"), almost unreachable. With the notable exception of the Imperium, the Empire of Jade na dthe Valley of Bone. If there was a portal for each realm outside from the near Isles, much of the setting would lose its meaning...
That's what I think.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Well, it sounds like H.M. Gilford doesn't wants Avenroc to be a "core Far Land", similar to the three you mention. Which would mean a permanent portal wouldn't be out of the question, but I think this is a big enough addition that it should be proposed.

I think the best way to get people interested in your particular sub-setting is just to run an adventure there, and make more full proposals later.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
All,

I'm with Covaithe and JoeNotCharles. I think it would be best to test it in the context of an advanture and then revisit the idea. Thanks a bunch for the comments and suggestions. I'll work on something and submit it for approval when it's ready.

Remove ads