(Proposal)Some UA OGC Stuffs

Erekose13

Explorer
As a judge I'm gonna peruse some of the proposals that have been left for a while. Don't know if another thread was started but:
Yes to totem variants
No to Whirling Frenzy (as has been voted down when brought up another time.

I'd also like to suggest that if this is approved, we allow existing barbarians to select a different totem if it applies. This proposal really fits well with my idea of the wood elf barbarian culture that ao'Thuir is from. And I'd like to shift him over to the Wolf Totem if it makes it in.

Manzanita

First Post
Right. I'd been wondering what happened to this. My barbarian would be interested in one of these varients as well. I think KO, Erekose and I each voted yes for everything except whirling frenzy.

Knight Otu

First Post
As I recall, DerHauptman also proposed Whirling Frenzy, and it was weakened to make it more acceptable, by restricting it to light weapons. There might have been something else, too.

Anyway:
Yes to totems.
Yes to allow shiftng totems after approval.
No to Whirling Frenzy as presented here. Maybe the weakened form.

Erekose13

Explorer
Either way, I'd have to playtest that one more rigorously than any others. The extra attack is very very tempting. Though, yes I can see how it really fits for Sairhundan. Though your dervish is a better fit.

Bront

The man with the probe
YES to totems, YES to allow current barbs to shift before their next level up.

NO to whirling frenzy unrevised.

orsal

LEW Judge
Let the pile-on continue!

Either we're a bunch of conformists, going along with the flow, or great minds think alike. I agree, Yes to totem barbarians, with retconning for existing characters, and No to Whirling Frenzy as it stands.

DerHauptman

First Post
I think that only a couple of the judges even voted. We were at the point of letting whirling frenzy stand as written with two changes.

Those being that the barbarian in question had to choose at level 1 which type of frenzy he or she was going to have. This would limit the barbarian from picking and choosing which frenzy he would use as it suited each situation.

The other was limiting the whirling frenzy to light, or one handed weapons only.

WHIRLING FRENZY
A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain indomitable will at 14th level. Instead, he gains evasion, but only while in a whirling frenzy.

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability). Further, a character must make the choice at 1st level on which type of frenzy he will use for his skill. The character is then locked into that type of frenzy only. Unless of course he gains a level in a class that grants the rage skill or takes a feat that grants an additional use of rage.

Limited to one handed weapons only.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
I think it was light weapons only, or at least more specificly weapons only used in one hand.

The problem is that with the strength increase, the -2 to hit is negligable, so the damge increase is huge, and power attack is exceedingly usefull, so there needs to be no way you can use this power with a weapon in 2 hands.

Will vs Ref saves is a wash. +4 Con vs effectively +4 to AC, that's a little trickly. You don't get the extra 2 rounds, which might it balance out.

Remove ads