• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PS3 600 dollars? Sony is on crack

drothgery

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Various sports games I haven't played, but hear they are good.

Just to be a bit nitpicky, one of the early knocks on the 360 launch titles was that some of the '2006' sports games (most notably Madden) had a lot of features missing relative to the PS2 and Xbox versions. This has been remedied (and pretty much reversed) in the '2007' games.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
drothgery said:
Just to be a bit nitpicky, one of the early knocks on the 360 launch titles was that some of the '2006' sports games (most notably Madden) had a lot of features missing relative to the PS2 and Xbox versions. This has been remedied (and pretty much reversed) in the '2007' games.

You're probably right. I wouldn't know. I don't play sports games, well, except Fight Night.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ashrem Bayle said:
Exactly.
Another thing to consider is that some people bought the X-Box over the PS2 because it was the more powerful system, with fancier graphics. The PS3 will not have that advantage over the 360.

Ghost Recon
Oblivion
Prey
Condemned
Chromehounds
Project Gotham Racing
Burnout
Fight Night Round 3
Dead or Alive
Hitman
Kameo
Call of Duty
Quake 4
Tomb Raider (I havn't played it yet, but I hear it's great.)
Various sports games I haven't played, but hear they are good.
..all very high quality games you can go buy right now.

I personally wouldn't want to play any of those (except Oblivion, which I have on my PC and frankly, was probably the worst entry in the Elder Scrolls series, other than graphics). And of that list, only that, GRAW and COD are widely considered as good games and good Xbox 360 ports - most of the others are either bad games or bad ports (Quake 4, various sports games)

Ashrem Bayle said:
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Halo 3
Alan Wake
Mass Effect
Lost Planet
GTA
Jade Empire 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Resident Evil 5
Knights of the Old Republic 3
...all games that look to be A+ quality, and will be out soon.

Soon? Of that that list, I think only Gears of War will be out this year (maybe also Mass Effect). Many of those haven't even been announced

And don't get me started on the Xbox Arcade scam. They ruined backwards compatibility of older titles so they could charge people $5 each for Galaga and Pac-man. No thanks.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
I personally wouldn't want to play any of those (except Oblivion, which I have on my PC and frankly, was probably the worst entry in the Elder Scrolls series, other than graphics). And of that list, only that, GRAW and COD are widely considered as good games and good Xbox 360 ports - most of the others are either bad games or bad ports (Quake 4, various sports games)

Are you serious dude? Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they are bad games, or don't sell. Nearly every game on that list has sold very well, and has gotten wonderful reviews. You may not care for them, but they certainly count toward the 360's list of great games. Oblivion for example is reviewed with a 94.1% average, and is one of the highest selling RPGs of all time. To each his own and all that, but you are in the minority.

EDIT - And I forgot Too Human, the new Rainbow Six, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent, which is a sure fire A+ title.

Soon? Of that that list, I think only Gears of War will be out this year (maybe also Mass Effect). Many of those haven't even been announced.

Which ones havn't been anounced? And, as I understand it, we should see Dead Rising, Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Mass Effect, & Splinter Cell out this year. Even then, in the video game industry, a game coming out a year from now is "comng soon".

And don't get me started on the Xbox Arcade scam.
It's doing pretty well for a "scam". In fact, it seems they're "scamming" people out of millions...and I for one am loving being "scammed".

They ruined backwards compatibility of older titles so they could charge people $5 each for Galaga and Pac-man. No thanks.
And how did this "ruin backwards compatibility" exactly?

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Another thing to consider is that some people bought the X-Box over the PS2 because it was the more powerful system, with fancier graphics. The PS3 will not have that advantage over the 360.
That's still debatable, of course.

The game list is also questionable, and maybe the best examples weren't chosen...

Ghost Recon - multiplatform franchise
Oblivion - PC (ie. been there, done that)
Prey - PC
Condemned
Chromehounds - bad game, reviewed poorly. Bad example.
Project Gotham Racing
Burnout - multiplatform/port
Fight Night Round 3 - multiplatform franchise
Dead or Alive
Hitman - multiplatform franchise
Kameo
Call of Duty - PC
Quake 4 - PC
Tomb Raider (I havn't played it yet, but I hear it's great.) - multiplatform franchise

...all games that look to be A+ quality, and will be out soon.
No - almost none of that list will be out "soon". Even Gears of War has no specific date confirmed (and has a history of being constantly pushed back). I'm not holding my breath for 2006. Further, some of those games are PC games.

Really - the 360 games are hardly astounding, and are still suffering from lack of exclusivity; and this has been widely reported.

Which ones havn't been anounced? And, as I understand it, we should see Dead Rising, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, & Lost Planet out this year. Even then, in the video game industry, a game coming out a year from now is "comng soon".
Nonsense - that's quite a stretch. In any case, you understand incorrectly: at least Jade Empire 2 and KotOR 3 are unannounced. Many of the others don't even have release dates. Of the ones you mention right above, only Dead Rising has an actual release date (August). Two others are "TBA 2006" (uh-oh), and the rest are 2007 and beyond.

And? Just three?
No, those are just quick and easy examples. Simply look at all the PS1/PS2 franchises for more examples.

Yep. By the time the PS3 is released, you'll have a few dozen great games on the 360 vs the PS3's half dozen or so. I fail to see how the PS3 will win here.
It's best to consider the situation over time, of course. Nothing is "won" on release date. We'll see in a couple of years, once all the franchises and games are in full swing.

It's all well and good to "like" the 360, but one mustn't get carried away. In any case, 2007 looks to be a great year for the 360, when the good exclusive games will actually start coming out (as opposed to a bare-bones selection and a bunch of ports). The PS3 may have a tough time then. I'm looking forward to 2007, and near the end of that year will (finally!) be a good time to consider a 360.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Metal Gear - Release Date: Q4 2007
Final Fantasy XIII - Release Date: TBA 2007
Gran Turismo - Release Date: Q2 2007

Ouch. I was thinking at least Metal Gear would be a launch title. That's really going to hurt if none of the PS3's flagship franchises see light until after Halo 3 and all those other games I listed are released.

I really don't think Warhawk is going to move that many systems, and I don't see any other big titles on their projected launch list. At least, none that won't also be on the 360.

reanjr

First Post
The Blu-Ray is more expensive argument is the excuse Sony has been waiting for to hike the cost of games. There is absolutely, positively, no reason every game should be that expensive.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with releasing games on cheap DVDs, and nothing stopping any company from doing it. In fact, you can bet most launch and early titles will probably be DVD. There have only been a handful of console games in the last generation that required more than 1 DVD. The medium is not beyond it's capacity except for the companies that cram their games with FMV or just don't know what they're doing.

If Oblivion can fit on a DVD, almost anything can.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
That's still debatable, of course.

Multiplatform release is a non-issue for this discussion. As long as there are sales on the 360, it is good for the 360. It doesn't matter if there are also sales on the PC, or the Commador 64. Yes, some of those will also be on the PS3, but you can get them on the 360 long before you can get them on the PS3, and that means a lot.

No - almost none of that list will be out "soon". Even Gears of War has no specific date confirmed (and has a history of being constantly pushed back).

The developers claim that Dead Rising, Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Mass Effect, & Splinter Cell will all be out this year. Are they sometimes wrong? Sure. But they all look very likely.

Nonsense - that's quite a stretch. In any case, you understand incorrectly: at least Jade Empire 2 and KotOR 3 are unannounced.

Confirmed by developers in both cases.

No, those are just quick and easy examples. Simply look at all the PS1/PS2 franchises for more examples.

So when I mention 360 franchises, I hear "not announced yet", but I'm told to look at existing PS2 franchises to behold the glory of the future PS3?

It's best to consider the situation over time, of course. Nothing is "won" on release date. We'll see in a couple of years, once all the franchises and games are in full swing.

Not exactly. Release day means a lot (to stock holders), and if a console can't survive while hemorrhaging money, it won't last a "couple of years". Just ask Sega...

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
reanjr said:
The Blu-Ray is more expensive argument is the excuse Sony has been waiting for to hike the cost of games. There is absolutely, positively, no reason every game should be that expensive.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with releasing games on cheap DVDs, and nothing stopping any company from doing it. In fact, you can bet most launch and early titles will probably be DVD. There have only been a handful of console games in the last generation that required more than 1 DVD. The medium is not beyond it's capacity except for the companies that cram their games with FMV or just don't know what they're doing.

If Oblivion can fit on a DVD, almost anything can.

I wonder... what happens if Sony's Blu-Ray goes the way of the Sony Betamax and Sony UMD? If it does, does this mean that the price of PS3's will increase? Sony can afford to produce them for the PS3 relatively cheap because they are being produced in bulk. If the blu-ray market crashes, that "bulk" will decrease substantially. Does that drive the price up on the lasers? Does that drive the price up on the PS3?

Last edited:

reanjr

First Post
I can only recall one instance of a console war not won by the first released. I don't expect PS3 to do well for many more reasons than the price of the system.

1. Price of system
2. Price of games
3. No added value (almost no one cares about blu-ray) over competition - developers have stated that there is not that much of a noticable difference in power between PS3 and 360
4. Me too - not a single innovative thing on this system has been announced
5. Momentum; 360's got it, especially with Halo 3 coming, and an expected price drop
6. Few major exclusive franchises; the only non-Sony one that hasn't done much cross-platform in Square Enix, and it's looking like that won't be for long
7. Laissez-faire online system is going to pale in comparison to Live's in terms of quality service

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads