Critical Role PSA: You are not Matt Mercer

Longspeak

Adventurer
Yeah, as one of those old geezers, I'll avoid games involving the CR world etc, just in case the GM is trying to emulate the show, which I don't think is a fruitful endeavour
Trouble is, I'm one of those old geezers. Of course, people are free to use whatever criteria they like in choosing a game to join. But "Just in case X" is a terrible reason. "Oh, I don't want to join your game because there might be [whatever], instead of "Hey does this game have [whatever]?"

At the end of the day, I get ideas from all sorts of places and some of Mercer's ideas work for me. But my game is mine. If someone else has a cool idea, should I avoid it just because someone else already had it? Hell no. Use it all and make it work for you!

Oofta

Legend
Gotcha. I took “radio show” a bit more figuratively, but I can see your interpretation, and I agree that’s definitely not what CR is.

Oh, no, I’m sure they were all big ol’ ham balls long before recording and streaming the game. That doesn’t mean their behavior now is the same as it was then. You can’t get around the fact that people behave differently when knowingly observed. Even when they don’t realize it, even when they try not to, everyone acts differently on camera than they do off of it. The CR cast is no exception.
True, but these are people who are used to being behind the microphone and the camera.

End of the day I don't see that it matters much one way or another. Matt has his own unique style, I don't think anyone should feel like a failure if they can't, don't or won't run a game like he does. I get some inspiration from him, other things just wouldn't work for me.

The important thing IMHO is that they laugh a lot and seem to truly enjoy the game while still respecting each other. It may not be 100% "real" but I'm not sure anything ever is.

I know I DM slightly different for different groups, doesn't mean I'm not playing D&D.

Longspeak

Adventurer
Me too, although pretty much the only voices I have are "angry scotsman" and "Alan Rickman."
I don't know about you, but I find that "angry old man" is becoming easier and easier every day. :hmm:
Angry Old Man is my default setting. But I do an... enthusiastic Scots, a vaugely Slavic Slavic accent, and a simply fantastic "I want you to think I'm German" accent. I also do a decent southern accent but that's from time spent in the south as a youth.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
You vill tell me vere ze treasure is Dr Jones, you vill tell me NOW! Or ve have vays of persvading you... unfolds menacing coat hanger.

Yeah, I can do some german, a pinch of broad russian, and some seriously on-point swedish chef. That's about it. Oh, and I can Deliverance like a pro too. (y) I really wish my Irish and Scots were better

Remove ads