Explorer
Psergei, Goddess of Fire

"SEHR-gay"
The Red Queen, The Searing Gaze

Enworldian Greater Deity
Symbol: A black disc consumed by fire
Home Plane: Plane of Fire
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Portfolio: Fire, the desert, evil fire creatures, patience, pain, destruction, mercilessness.
Worshippers: Efreet and other evil-aligned races of fire, the Fire Tribes of the Lands of Fire, cultists.
Cleric Alignments: Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil
Domains: Destruction, Evil, Fire, Sun
Favoured Weapon: Red Machete (Falchion)

Note: Evil clerics of Psergei with the Sun domain may perform a greater turning (as per the Sum domain ability) against undead in place of a regular rebuke, even though they channel negative energy.

Psergei is an ancient goddess composed entirely of fire. Though she can shape herself into any form, she usually appears simply as a column of red and orange flame. Sometimes she takes the shape of a humanoid, but retains her fiery substance.

Psergei demands only one thing of her worshipers; that they spread her fire across the world. She has no holy texts, her religion is passed completely by word of mouth. Some clerics have branded their skin with stories of Psergei's fiery wrath consuming entire cities, or the beginning of time when Psergei was the spark that brought heat and life into the world so that she could have something to slowly dominate and destroy. Psergei controls the Tower of Fire, which provides heat for all of Enworld. As such, she holds the power of life and death in her hands, as do those that control the other Towers.

Psergei's clerics are always evil. They have been known to "spread Psergei's domain" by committing random acts of arson, and are often banned from cities where Psergei is a known deity. The Red Queen is not well known except in the Lands of Fire, because her worshipers are notorious for causing all kinds of wanton destruction, and most living in the Central Lands have been executed, exiled, or are in hiding. The Fire Tribes of the Lands of Fire are nomadic desert societies, founded by Efreet, who have worshiped Psergei for thousands of years. The Fire Tribes believe that they are Psergei's chosen people, destined to control all of Enworld. They periodically cut away swaths of forest to the north of the Fire Lands to help the desert slowly expand towards the Tower of Earth, which they hope to one day conquer. They maintain a strict set of traditions and worship rites, many of which are cruel and painful, such as the annual fire sacrifice of a live innocent (sometimes a daughter of their own tribe, if a girl from another tribe cannot be kidnapped).

Psergei has a few temples, but most of her worshipers are nomads, so their places of regular worship are usually the massive bonfires they frequently build while on the move. There are several large temples of Psergei in the Lands of Fire, and many Fire Tribe traditions involve a regular pilgrimage to one of the nearby temples. The most famous temple is on the side of a volcano a mere 100 miles from the Tower of Fire itself. This temple was fashioned from the obsidian and the tunnels formed by rivers of lava from the volcano. Today the volcano is still active, and through some feat of engineering, the lava is directed around the temple itself, though the frequent explosions make it accessible only a few times a year. The temple has no permanent residents, but Psergei's high clerics make sure to worship in the temple whenever possible.

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
To round out the elemental theme among the greater enworldian deities. I made a list of deity portfolios and noticed that we had no pain or destruction, so she fills that gap quite well. We also have only the good side of the sun, so I gave her the bad side to balance the scale a bit.

[sblock=Enworldian Deities' Portfolio List: ]aberrations
and scribes
and traps
animalistic vengeance
Animals
Anything or anyone that's been lost
architecture
armor
Assassins
Astrologers
Attainment no matter the cost
Birth
bloodshed
Calm Change that is not Radical
catharsis and forgiveness
Commonality of all People and Animals
Conception
Cooking
Corruption
Corruption from Within
Creation
crushing the weak
darkness
Death
death
Descent into Evil
destuction of undead
diplomacy
dishonesty with self
Druids
Efficient Magic Use
enlightenment
exploration
exploration
Fertility in nature and crops
freedom
Freedom from Tyrany
Games of skill
Gentle Sea Creatures
Goblins
heroism in battle
hidden beauty
hospitality and celebration
hurricanes
insanity
invention
Killing for sport and amusement Assassins
language
Lasting accomplishments
Leadership
Leadership
Lifegiving aspect of the sun
love and lovers
Luck
Lust
madness
Magic
Manipulation
Manipulation through sex Treachery and deceit
Marines
Martial Conflict
Meticulous Plans
Misdirection
Mountain goblins
music
mystery
Natural Cycles
Nobility
Oceans
Order
People without home or ancestry
Plants
poison
possessions lacking ownership
power for power's sake
reason and rationalism
research
Sailors
sailors
schools
seagoing merchants and maritime trade
secrets and the night
Serenity
Shepherds
Slavery
Soothing Healing
Spells
stone buildings
Storms
storytelling and quests
study
Temptation[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
The inclusion of "patience" in the list of portfolios bothers me a bit. I understand the reference with respect to the slow march of the desert but it doesn't really seem in character for a goddess of the sun.

(I note, by the way, that there's no reference to patience in the portfolio list you provided. The "and scribes" & "and traps" entries seem like they might be mistakes as well.)

Apart from that, though, it seems fine - and if we're wanting to balance up the elemental entries, then this seems to do the trick.

Off the top of my head, though - and because I'm too lazy to look up the answer myself - what sort of proportion of good to evil gods do we have, particularly with an elemental theme?

Edit: OK, to answer my own question:

Code:
                       LG     LN     LE     CG     CN     CE     NG     N     NE

Greater Gods:          0      2      0      1      1      0      2      0     1

Intermediate Gods:     2      1      0      0      0      0      2      0     1

Lesser Gods:           1      2      2      1      0      4      2      0     2

Demigods:              0      1      1      0      2      1      0      3     0

Last edited:

B4cchus

Explorer
Looks good! I can see the patience part working with the rest of the portfolio although i would expect it with a LE diety. The NE works better with the desert and fire theme.
What is the black shpere in the symbol?

Rystil Arden

First Post
B4cchus said:
Looks good! I can see the patience part working with the rest of the portfolio although i would expect it with a LE diety. The NE works better with the desert and fire theme.
They're patient, but yet they commit random arson. All in all, it averages out to neutral on that axis (and to keep theme, she absolutely must be Neutral Evil). I would assume there were probably LE and CE sects that emphasises the patience or the randomness over the other.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
B4cchus said:
The black sphere is the world, now turned to ash, entirely consumed by Psergei's fire.

The patience bit... It fits with the desert theme well. Galatea is the goddess of the ocean, and Psergei would be the goddess of the desert. So perhaps... "entropy" or "destructive change" would be another portfolio, to justify her clerics (probably, as RA said, CE clerics) committing arson.

Bront

The man with the probe
I like it, and I'd approve it as is, but I have a minor suggestion...

No temples is overkill. I could see one famous temple of some kind (perhaps in the side of an active volcano that never seems to desecrate the temple itself somewhere towards the tower of fire). It might not be manned always, but used on special occasions by high up priests and worshipers. Perhaps it's only accessable at certain times of the year due to lava flows.

Giving followers a little more structure beyond most being "nomads" fits a bit better into the alignment thing.

Just thoughts :)

Remove ads