Psergei, NE Greater Goddess of Fire

orsal

LEW Judge
I think an evil deity with the Sun domain is problematic. Flavour-wise, it's fine -- I don't see that the sun has to be inherently good, although it being a source of light at least makes that plausible. But mechanically speaking, how do you use the Sun domain ability (to improve undead turning) if you don't channel positive energy?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Hmm... good point orsal. I looked over the spells in the Sun domain, to make sure that it wasn't meant only for good clerics. But I missed the domain power. The simplest solution would be to simply drop the Sun domain. I think it fitting for a desert goddess to have the Sun as a domain. But clearly, the creators of the game meant for the sun to be more of an "anti-undead" domain, rather than a "desert-goddess" domain. So I think I'll just drop it.

Bront, I like the idea about the one temple. Perhaps it was fashioned long ago by lava flowing from the volcano itself. And you're right, a completely nomadic culture implies chaotic tendencies. But I tried to counterbalance the nomadic (and chaotic) mentality with the importance of traditions. A few temples would help balance it out more, though, so I'll add something about that.

Trouvere, you devil. You're absolutely right. I'll fix it right away.

Bront

The man with the probe
Yes

The worst case for the sun power is you don't use the domain ability. I'd put it back in there. Or, you can always rule an evil cleric may choose to use the ability and one of his rebukes functions as a turn when he does. All that requires is a note in the god's description. Zephos already has evil clerics that can only turn (something about the shepherd of the dead controling what they construe as abominations just didn't mesh).

Trouvere

Explorer
Setting aside any question of appropriate flavour, if Psergei's Sun domain power were altered to apply to rebuking*, what horrible abuses would become possible?

A cleric of Psergei with this alternate Sun domain power could command one single undead of HD from half his level up to his level (those of HD half his level and below he could command anyway). Undead commanded by a rebuking are under mental control that requires a standard action to give orders.

By comparison, the Sor/Wiz 2 spell Command Undead allows a Wizard to command any undead that fails a Will save (if intelligent; mindless get no save), with no HD cap and with no limit as to the total number of HD of undead under command at one time, and to control them verbally as, presumably, a free action.

The alternate Sun domain power seems a bit weak to me - although I'm probably forgetting some horrible ability of undead creatures that will break the game.

* i.e. "Once per day, you can perform a greater rebuking against undead in place of a regular rebuking. The greater rebuking is like a normal rebuking except that the undead creatures that would be rebuked are commanded instead."

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Trouvere said:
Setting aside any question of appropriate flavour, if Psergei's Sun domain power were altered to apply to rebuking*, what horrible abuses would become possible?

A cleric of Psergei with this alternate Sun domain power could command one single undead of HD from half his level up to his level (those of HD half his level and below he could command anyway). Undead commanded by a rebuking are under mental control that requires a standard action to give orders.

By comparison, the Sor/Wiz 2 spell Command Undead allows a Wizard to command any undead that fails a Will save (if intelligent; mindless get no save), with no HD cap and with no limit as to the total number of HD of undead under command at one time, and to control them verbally as, presumably, a free action.

The alternate Sun domain power seems a bit weak to me - although I'm probably forgetting some horrible ability of undead creatures that will break the game.

* i.e. "Once per day, you can perform a greater rebuking against undead in place of a regular rebuking. The greater rebuking is like a normal rebuking except that the undead creatures that would be rebuked are commanded instead."
First of all, it makes no sense for the Sun to be associated directly with controlling better undead than, say, Urdiga, goddess of undeath. Secondly, controlling undead of your own Hit Dice is problematic. Consider templated undead like Vampires and Liches ;)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
It doesn't really make sense for the Sun domain ability to be controlling undead. Half of its spells deal extra damage to undead.

As a matter of fact, it might make more sense for her clerics to be like Zephos'; that is, they turn undead rather than control it, despite channeling negative energy. Psergei is a goddess of destruction, and I imagine she loves seeing the walking dead burn just as much as she loves to see the living burn.

And KO, sorry if I'm stepping on your ambitious character's androgynous toes. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
It doesn't really make sense for the Sun domain ability to be controlling undead. Half of its spells deal extra damage to undead.

As a matter of fact, it might make more sense for her clerics to be like Zephos'; that is, they turn undead rather than control it, despite channeling negative energy. Psergei is a goddess of destruction, and I imagine she loves seeing the walking dead burn just as much as she loves to see the living burn.

And KO, sorry if I'm stepping on your ambitious character's androgynous toes. :)
That would be fine with me. It would, however, be worth noting that Spontaneous Healing >> Spontaneous Wounding and, to balance, Controlling Undead >> Turning Undead. This sun cleric is acceptable because it gets the weaker of both pairs (I would not accept a cleric that spontaneously healed and controlled undead).

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I think you're right; it's a weaker choice, and one that someone would choose strictly for the flavor of having, say... a Desert Sage cleric of Psergei, who is awed by the destructive power of the sun.

I'll add a note about the Sun domain ability, and then I think Psergei is ready for votes.

Remove ads