2nd Soften Earth and Stone
3rd Diminish Plants
4th Hallucinatory Terrain
5th Blight
6th Move Earth
7th Control Weather
8th Horrid Wilting
9th Elemental Swarm (any, except Water)

How's this? I give all credit to Trouvere, for doing 100% of the research. The weakest one is L2, but I think at the very least it fits thematically That is, if Psergei is slowly encroaching on the Earth Tower, it makes sense for her to be softening earth. So, if this domain is approved, then obviously Psergei will have it. And then B4cchus will vote yes, and then we'll wait, and then she's approved. Hooray!

Bront

The man with the probe
What's the domain ability?

And one of the larger deserts is actualy by the tower of wind, oddly enough.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
True, but I'm thinking that the Wind desert is not quite so harsh. It's hot, for sure, but it's not as hot, and it's very windy. Dust storms are a threat there, whereas in the Lands of Fire, I imagine that some areas are incredibly hot, and there is little wind. I also imagine the Lands of Fire are much rockier, as there's less erosion and its closer to the Tower of Earth. As you approach the tower there are volcanoes, and near the tower itself might even be fields of literal fire.

Domain ability... Something like an area blight effect would be good. What's that one campaign setting where evil characters boost their power by sucking the life out of the land? A mechanical effect like that, with radius of 1' per level. I'll look around for that ability.

Boddynock

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Domain ability... Something like an area blight effect would be good. What's that one campaign setting where evil characters boost their power by sucking the life out of the land? A mechanical effect like that, with radius of 1' per level. I'll look around for that ability.
Dark Sun - defiling magic.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Not forgotten, just a lesser priority than keeping my games afloat. I'll be able to put some thought into it during Thanksgiving, for sure. Thanks for the interest, though!

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Granted Power

By stealing power from the life around you, you can cast spells at +1 caster level. When in an area of abundant plant life, you may choose to blight the life around you to enhance your spellcasting, creating dead spot like a limited cancer. The boundary of the dead spot is a circle centered on you, with a radius of 1 foot per level of the spell being enhanced. The entire area of the dead spot must be filled with abundant plant life, or the spell is cast at normal caster level, with no blight effect.

Within the boundary of the dead spot, all plants instantly die and shrivel and all water evaporates, leaving behind an area of dry, dead husks and dust. Living creatures within the boundary of the dead spot are not directly affected, but plants can find no sustenance in the dust of the dead spot, water-breathing creatures die quickly when water turns to dust, and mobile animals know enough to leave the area alone. After 30 days, the effect ends, and the dead spot may be colonized naturally over the course of several years by bacteria, plants, and animals.

-------------

Needs some tweaking, I think. +1 CL for any spell might be a bit much, but limiting it to Fire spells (or maybe Fire and Evil spells?) might limit it too much. A limit to 1/day severely limits the ability, I think. Perhaps 3/day?

Or is it balanced as is? It can't be used in dungeons, or the desert, or in a building. Only in a forest, really. Or an oasis. Maybe a plains, if the DM is kind. What do you guys think?

Boddynock

First Post
Boy, the druids are going to hate this! :p

It is limited by the terrain type - but if you're in that terrain (a forest adventure, for example) you've got a (virtually) unlimited boost to power. I think it needs some further limit.

Most of the domains have a granted power which, if it increases caster level, gives a blanket +1 increase for spells with an appropriate descriptor (good, or law, e.g.). Otherwise, the benefit tends to be once per day, except for turn attempts, which are based around the turn undead 3 + Cha bonus mechanic.

How about saying that the cleric can get the +1 caster level bonus on any Domain spells she casts? That makes it relevant, not overpowered, but not too limited, either. It also means that the granted power scales with increase in level - a criticism which was raised at one point (not sure if it was in this discussion or another one).

Bront

The man with the probe
it's fairly powerful by domain power standards. 2 per day at most I would think.

I would think you'd be better having it apply to all desert domain spells only and always on, much like healing, good, and other similar abilities, without the draining effect. It's boring, but it works.

Another option. Survival is a class skill and a +4 insight bonus to the skill in the desert?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases