• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pseudodragon and front claws

orion90000

First Post
exploring ambiguity here and wanted some feedback.

In the monster entry for pseudodragon (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/pseudodragon.html#_pseudodragon) there isn't any mention of claws in the attack entry. Only sting and bite. A tiny dragon (true dragon) gets claw attacks. This part is irrelevant.

In creating a pseudodragon character would the dragon be allowed to use his front paws/claws to hold a weapon/wand/lock pick/ink pen/etc? Yes, but only when flying? No, they are the equivalent to a wolf's front paws?

The picture in the Pathfinder Bestiary seems to show "opposable thumbs" on the front claws. Please input thoughts.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They're comparable to dragons' claws. They could probably, in theory, use claw attacks, but they're smart enough to know their tail and teeth are better.

I'd definitely let them use wands, lock picks, etc., and weapons of an appropriate size, or maybe one size smaller.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd say their construction is such that their claws are not significant weapons.

They are as smart as a humanoid, and can speak (though, with telepathy, they don't need to very often) - things like wands and small tools should be entirely reasonable.

orion90000

First Post
And another question. I would assume that they are capable of speaking in draconic, but choose not to on a routine basis? (They often only vocalize in chirps, hisses, growls, and purrs) and since I'm not sure if you can activate a wand with telepathy, I'm going to assume that they can activate magic items without problem.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would assume that they are capable of speaking in draconic, but choose not to on a routine basis?

The monster description says they know draconic. It says they "...OFTEN only vocalize..." That implies that occasionally they will vocalize otherwise. To me, that implies that they are entirely capable of speech, but just choose to use telepathy. Thus, command words become possible.

Plus, shouldn't draconic sound... like lizard sounds, rather than human sounds? Maybe their vocalizations are snippets of draconic advertising jingles, or dirty limericks, or something.

Derren

Hero
They're comparable to dragons' claws. They could probably, in theory, use claw attacks, but they're smart enough to know their tail and teeth are better.

I'd definitely let them use wands, lock picks, etc., and weapons of an appropriate size, or maybe one size smaller.

I do not think dragons have opposable thumbs which means fine manipulation would be impossible for them. Holding a want and turning it into a general direction would be the extend of their dexterity (unless aided by magic).
I would also say they can't speak at all except by telepathy.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The monster description says they know draconic. It says they "...OFTEN only vocalize..." That implies that occasionally they will vocalize otherwise. To me, that implies that they are entirely capable of speech, but just choose to use telepathy. Thus, command words become possible.

Plus, shouldn't draconic sound... like lizard sounds, rather than human sounds? Maybe their vocalizations are snippets of draconic advertising jingles, or dirty limericks, or something.

I would also say they can't speak at all except by telepathy.
I'm with Umbran: It's hard to imagine that Draconic contains sounds that cannot be made my a draconic voicebox. Obviously, most creatures they encounter won't speak Draconic, which is where telepathy comes into play, but it seems highly unlikely that they cannot speak it.

Remove ads