D&D 5E Psi Playtest

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
Hey everyone.

I am looking to ask some quastions about the 2020 update to psionics for D&D 5e.

I have just started a Roll20 campaign (I am new to this whole distance D&D thing, we had a campaign in person that fell apart due to 2020) and I have 1 PC useing the Psi Knight rules.

We just hit level 3 last week, and as such this week was the first time we had psionics in game. (first impression I really like it.)

However I want to make sure we are doing it "right" (you know as right as anything in D&D is since we use tons of house rules all the time.)

So he is a tabaxi fighter level 3. SO he now has 3 special abilities and a psi die to operate them. From what we could see (and I know we might have it wrong that is why I am here) he can use all 3 the same turn. He can move and leap rolling his (1d6+int mod)x2 as additional jump, then swing his sword or fire his flintlock dealing damage +1d6 force... then when he is counter attacked he can use his 1x per round reaction to roll 1d6+int mod and lower the damage by that amount.

if he rolls a 6 the die becomes a d4... when it is a d4 if he rolls a 4 it goes away, but if he rolls a 1 it goes back up to d6.

so 3 questions came up
1)Assumeing all of that is right, can it go BIGGER then the starting die? If he rolls a 1 on the d6 does it go up to D8, or does he have to 'unlock' the d8 at 5th level?
2)Also assuming the above is right, what happens with a ridder effect. Example, I had a poison dagger that dealt 1d4+2 (rouges dex) piercing damage plus 1d6 poison. If I roll a 1 on the damage (so 3) and he negates that 3 with his 1d6+int mod, does that also stop the poison, since without it piercing it can't deliver the poison?
3) Not just with this, but other 1/round or turn effects, how does it interact with Action surge... Since he can only add the force damage 1x even if he action surges he can not do so again, or does action surge count as a whole new action?

Kurotowa

Legend
1) No. "Conversely, if you roll a 1 on your Psionic Talent die, it increases by one die size after the roll, up to its starting size."

2) If you're hit then you're hit. In 5e there are few enough DR effect there's no conditional that an attack has to penetrate DR to trigger riders.

3) Action Surge gives you a second action, not a second turn. So effects that are limited to "once per turn" like Telekinetic Strike do not gain a second use from Action Surge.

Fenris447

Explorer
3) Action Surge gives you a second action, not a second turn. So effects that are limited to "once per turn" like Telekinetic Strike do not gain a second use from Action Surge.

To add to this, Action Surge only gives an extra Action for this turn. You don't get another bonus action, more movement, etc. Just a single new Action, useable for anything that normally uses an Action.

The Psi Feats are the truly powerful aspects of the U/A.
Wild Talent lets one re-roll a bad damage roll, or substitute your Psi Die for the damage die of say a dagger. Being able to add your Psi Die to ability checks that the feat was applied to is great.

Wild Talent Dex= Initiative Rolls 🤩

Plus, depending on how you rule it, the extra Psi Replenishment use is critical, because at some point your Tabaxi friend is going to crap out, early.

WoTC really 💩the bed, (IMO), when they so quickly ditched the Psi Die.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
OKay, thank you everyone.
I do plan on putting hombrew items to help him, so I am just making sure the basics work the way we thought.

SO far we are happy with the Psi Die.

Shiroiken

Legend
WoTC really 💩the bed, (IMO), when they so quickly ditched the Psi Die.
Not to rehash a touchy subject but I think the average player just didn't like the variable die type. If they'd done it like bardic inspiration, where you have the same die a number of times per rest, it probably wouldn't have disliked. Yes, it would be utilized an existing mechanic, but most players don't want new mechanics, they want something simple and fun. This is why the champion fighter is popular, yet forum users seem to hate it.

but I think the average player just didn't like the variable die type
I contend the “average player” does not test out Unearthed Arcana material.😀
The “average player” also likely is not a RPG board denizen.

The self selected grouping of persons that playtests new material and takes the time to slog through the WoTC feedback screens, (which do not engender a pleasant user experience..and should be modified), is not a casual player. Just as, (to use an analogy), voters in primary elections in the United States are typically more politically engaged then “casual” voters.
If they'd done it like bardic inspiration, where you have the same die a number of times per rest, it probably wouldn't have disliked.
That is called the Battlemaster subclass. I like the Psi Die mechanic because when you are rolling median numbers on the Psi Die, one is able to add it to so many different rolls and actions.
It ‘feels’ like the (Psionic) Force is a part of your character, and not a burst of creative output like Bardic Inspiration or Martial Prowess from a Maneuver die.
This is why the champion fighter is popular, yet forum users seem to hate it.
I am fine with the Champion subclass. Who does not want to be a champion?
If the class was called the “Enforcer” or the “Armsman” would it be as popular with new players?

Remove ads