Psioncis as attacks/skill checks

Flobby

Explorer
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wanted peoples opinion on something here. I'm in the midst of creating an alternative psionics system and want to convert powers into attack rolls and skill checks. My problem is how to implement attacks. Here are the options as I see it.

1. Make a psionics attack bonus (+1/1 + Int) for telekinetic and telepathic powers. Telekinetic powers target AC, while telepathic powers target a Mental AC.
2. Make telekinetic attacks ranged touch attack powers--which I think would be too weak and still leaves the problem of telepathic attacks.
3. Make every power a skill check and require saves as normal, which would require an extra roll...

I'm leaning towards 1. I'm wondering though if I should nerf the damage a bit in that case though...

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Should this maybe be in the general forum?

Last edited:

Bacris

First Post
Have you checked out Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook for 3.5? I haven't looked into updating it to Pathfinder, but it might be closer to what you're looking for.

Flobby

Explorer
I'd say just rip the Force system from Star Wars Saga.

I guess that's a fourth option. I guess than I'd either have to convert all saves into defenses or create a sperate Mental AC.
...that and there is the possible problem of using a skill check against defense--it might be too good.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Well, we are talking Pathfinder, which adds CMD. Between that, AC, Touch, and Flatfooted, there are plenty of defenses to target without adding more. Mind effects are always handled by a save roll than an attack roll, though.

Or use a "take ten" for opposing "saves" to calculate the defence. Quick and dirty, but it would work.

Overall, it isn't a bad thought - it is just that you are monkeying with some of the core elements of Pathfinder's game design to do it. Personally, I'd either go with Dreamscarred Press's adaptation or use something like the Ki/Arcane Pool/Grit mechanic (Ki and Arcane Pool are funtionally the same and fluffed different, Grit has a different recharge system that is intended to encourage some crazy roleplaying). Yet I know it isn't what you are going for.

Bacris

First Post
I'm not familiar with it, what's it like?

It's a more skills & feats based system, from what I've heard. I know a lot of folks who recommend it, although I personally have not taken the time to dig into it myself.

Transbot has a good concept for "mental AC" - 10 + Will save modifiers... That is rather quick and dirty if you want to go with an attack roll rather than a defense roll...

Flobby

Explorer
It's a more skills & feats based system, from what I've heard. I know a lot of folks who recommend it, although I personally have not taken the time to dig into it myself..

Hmmm, I'll have to check it out. Sounds complicated though...

Transbot has a good concept for "mental AC" - 10 + Will save modifiers... That is rather quick and dirty if you want to go with an attack roll rather than a defense roll...

Yeah I was just thinking of the same thing. That might be the simplest way.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases