Psionic Campaign

Nahat Anoj

First Post
What books are useful if I'm interested in running a purely psionic campaign, with no arcane or divine magic at all? Obviously I need the XPH (which I do not have at present :) ), and I've already heard some recommendations for some of Dreamscarred Press's stuff (the Divine Mind supplement looks particularly interesting to me right now). Some books and adventures published by Malhavoc also seem like they might be helpful. Are there others that I'm missing?

One thing that I would find particularly valuable is a discussion of themes to make a campaign feel more "psionic." Do any of these books have such a discussion? I do have similar books for other game systems that go into psionic themes, but I was wondering if a d20 perspective was available. EDIT - I forgot that I have GR's Psychic's Handbook, which is a great product. Are there any others?

Glyfair

Explorer
The Eberron book Secrets of Sarlona has quite a bit psionic stuff (and Magic of Eberron has more than you'd expect). In fact, a lot of Eberron books have bits and pieces of psionics.

In fact, it's quite possible, IMO, to run this as a campaign setting without touching on the rest of Eberron. There are lots of references to the rest of the world. However, Sarlona is a pretty isolated continent (by the design of the Quori), which makes it quite easy.

WD40

First Post
There is Complete Psionic... which came and went with hardly a wimper, but has some cool ideas in it...

Having great ideas and being mostly ignored seems to be a theme with 3e Psionic products!

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
WD40 said:
There is Complete Psionic... which came and went with hardly a wimper, but has some cool ideas in it...

Having great ideas and being mostly ignored seems to be a theme with 3e Psionic products!

Two words: Cloud Mind. ;)

Bacris

First Post
Actually, the Ardent in Complete Psionic is a very nice class that would fit in well with an all-psionics campaign. A healing ardent isn't GREAT, but can work in a pinch.

Complete Psionic does not have an "all psionics" campaign discussion, but some of the material it introduces definitely would help you create such a game. I know folks like to knock the book (hey, I do too!), but if you can pick one of the used ones up for 15, or even a new one for $20 (amazon.com), it's not a bad trade - just watch out for some of the funky rules it introduces that you may or may not agree with - such as only 1 astral construct at any time (bad!), crystal shard / hail of crystals are subject to DR (good!), etc.

I did put in a discussion on a world without divine magic (I did not go so far as an all-psionics game) in Mind Divine, but it was maybe half a page of text - it wasn't a long discourse.

Psion

Adventurer
Bacris said:
Actually, the Ardent in Complete Psionic is a very nice class that would fit in well with an all-psionics campaign. A healing ardent isn't GREAT, but can work in a pinch.

You can add the sangehirn from the Mind's Eye archive @ the wizards website to this or another class if you need a real healing machine.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c

You also might try using the reserve point rule in Unearthed Arcana and not sweating replacing the standard healer.

While Secrets of Sarlona is not strictly psionic as it has magic elements within it, it does present a setting unto itself that is practically isolated from the rest of Eberron's stuff (i.e. - airships, warforged, artificers, etc.). It really does a good job of creating an eastern feel among some of the nations of Sarlona (think China, Tibet, Mongolia, and northern tundras). The setting itself pretty much assumes the good guys are psions or monks of Adar, or characters and creatures of other nations of Sarlona, fighting against Riedran oppression, but that's not to say that's the only thing going on across the continent of Sarlona.

Remove ads