Psionics outside of DnD/Pathfinder

Vael

Legend
I've played DnD since 3.5, and am well aware of how they all implemented Psionics, but feel I need a better look outside of the DnD world.

So I'm curious about the wider range of RPGs. Which systems have had good implementations of Psionics, and what made them good for you? I'm especially interested in RPGs that had Psionics existing alongside other Magic systems, but in general, what makes for a good Psionics system?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
A good psionics system has powers that you'd expect psions to use (even if wizards can also do them), and it blends seamlessly with the larger rules system. Maybe there's an exclusivity element too - there's a reason that not everyone can use them.

If I were to add a psionics module to Modos RPG, the main difference from magic would be the power source; it would use mental health instead of metaphysical health. That's a pretty easy change, and the powers list could be flavored as psionics. A brand-new list of powers would be a more thematic experience for the player, but who has the time for a brand-new list? 🤓

dbm

Savage!
As with all such powers, it depends on how you want them to feel, and then how well the rules deliver this. Psionics is itself a pseudo-science trapping for magic.

One of my favourite book series are the Julian May linked series of the Pliocene Exile and Galactic Milieu. Psionic powers are a big part of these books and some of the more extreme powers are akin to what might otherwise be seen as ‘magic’. Technological devices are used to enhance powers and that is quite a common trope. Power use tends to lack the verbal / somatic / material trappings that magic typically involves.

The GURPS 3e book on Psionics lists Julian May’s books as one of their inspirations and it really captures the feel well. The classifications of powers are similar to those used in May’s books (things like telekinesis, electrokinesis, ESP etc.) and there are psionic boosting techs etc.

Other systems have interesting takes on Psionics. Rolemaster has the Mentalism realm of magic, which while not full-on psionics does include a lot of its trappings. Cool things here include such things as no penalty for wearing body armour (which a wielder of Essence - similar to arcane - would have) but having a big penalty for wearing a helmet (which is significant in Rolemaster because head-crits are literal killers).

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
I've played DnD since 3.5, and am well aware of how they all implemented Psionics, but feel I need a better look outside of the DnD world.

So I'm curious about the wider range of RPGs. Which systems have had good implementations of Psionics, and what made them good for you? I'm especially interested in RPGs that had Psionics existing alongside other Magic systems, but in general, what makes for a good Psionics system?
I know you said, "outside of the DnD world", but you might want to take a look at Green Ronin's The Psychic's Handbook. It's 3.5. The psychic character doesn't advance like a psion does (like a spellcaster does), but instead the character uses psychic skills to manifest the psychic effect desired. I like this system so much I dropped into a D20 future-type campaign I ran.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Blue Rose does not so much have "psionics" in the D&D sense as it does "psychics." It's another form of arcana/magic in the setting. You get a nice spread of abilities, but there is a strong emphasis on consent in the setting, as sorcery is considered magic done to others without consent. There is a True 20 version and a Fantasy AGE version out there.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A lot of superheroic and toolbox systems treat psionic as simply another kind of power. Odds are good you can do with Psi much of what you can do with tech, magic or other supernatural abilities.

aramis erak

Legend

Traveller has the same five core powers in all editions: telepathy, teleportation, telekinesis, teleperception (aka Clairvoyance), and Awareness (which is attribute buffs, and similar to the prana bindu from Dune). Various editions have a variety of others, including unaging, postcognition, and machine telepathy.
Implementation varies wildly by edition.
It's worth noting that the core 5 abilities are pretty much straight out of Lensman.

Palladium has essentially 3 magic systems across its lines...
There are some that use a semi-vancian slots-per-day, not unlike 5E, but 30 years earlier. Spells of Level X require level X in the relevant class.
There are some that use Magic Points, otherwise similiar to semi-vancian, must be Level X to cast spells of Level X
Psionics differ - they can be present in almost any class, are rolled for randomly, and while they have spell-like descriptions and cost ISP, but you do not need to be in a specific class to have them. Minor limits to level 1 psionic powers only, major to level 1-3, master to 1-10. Which specific ones are random - at level one, roll for each psionic power of the new level...
Note that Palladium Fantasy also has a system of magic circles for the summoner, and of runes... each class linked.

Rolemaster/Spacemaster: Psionics are just a 4th school of magic (the other three: Esssence, Channeling, Mentalism). They all work near identically (differing mostly in armor penalties), but the spell lists are class-linked, and expensive for further afield lists than one's class' core & closed lists. They all cost SP equal to the spell level, and no casting check if under character level and level to which list is known, and obeying restrictions; attack spells always require an attack roll, separate from the casting check...

Tunnels and Trolls and The Fantasy Trip both have all magic being psionic; there is no distinction betwixt them

GURPS has magic separate rules from Psionics, but Superpowers and Psionics are the same rules. All require skill rolls, but differ in acquisition and progression .

Savage Worlds. in core, the differences between flavors of paranormal abilities determine how obtained, and which powers can be obtained. Core includes Faith, Mage/Wizard spells, Weird Science, Psionics, and Super powers. Additional flavors get added in some worldbooks... Deadlands adding Tribal Shamanism, and Martial Arts mastery.

Remove ads