Musings On Post Apocalyptic RPGs

hawkeyefan

Legend
Apocalypse World seems to really do it right, I’d say.

Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is a PbtA take that’s about society crawling from the wreckage. It adds a generational aspect to the game… so the game becomes about how humanity manages to restore itself… or not… over generations.

Those are the two I’d be most likely to play.

MGibster

Legend
What does it stop being post apocalyptic? I recently ran a Fallout game from Modiphius set shortly after the events of Fallout: New Vegas. The world ended in October 2077 and the campaign took place in 2284. I think maybe two hundred years is no longer post apocalyptic as you've simply got new civilizations that have arose in the aftermath.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
What does it stop being post apocalyptic? I recently ran a Fallout game from Modiphius set shortly after the events of Fallout: New Vegas. The world ended in October 2077 and the campaign took place in 2284. I think maybe two hundred years is no longer post apocalyptic as you've simply got new civilizations that have arose in the aftermath.

Interesting.

I guess it depends on how much you weight the theme of "law and order just collapsed" vs. "our predecessors were geniuses and we keep finding their stuff."

EDIT: Maybe if you graph anarchy/order vs. time, "post apocalyptic" is when the graph drops suddenly, and has not yet risen to the previous peak.

Thomas Shey

Legend

I think a good rule of thumb is its still post-apocalyptic until its climbed back up to the equivalent of the prior civilization. As far as I know at no point in the FO timeline are you back to global communication and transport, so...

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
I'd say a good guidance is when the survivors/new civilizations stop scavenging the old world's stuff for survival/growth. As a necessary component of research ("Nothing we can do is as good and we can learn.") is a bit of a gray area. But by the time the societies are doing new stuff on their own, without regards to what came before, the Post-Apocalyptic feel is gone, and we're in a completely new age.

As another media example, in the Wheel of Time series, the Breaking of the World is definitely the Apocalypse. The Post-Apocalypse ends around the time the Aiel break from the Tinkers and settle down (which is also about the time the first nation-states reform). By Rand's time, that's all just History.

Also, keep in mind that there won't be a sharp dividing line, despite what the historians want and impose. The transition will vary across regions and cultures. Heck, even now, there are some cultures (admittedly isolated) in the modern world that are still Iron Age.

Celebrim

Legend
I have a great deal of nostalgia for Gamma World which I loved back in junior high, and I've frequently thought about doing a campaign in Gamma World with modified D20 rules, but...

It's really really hard for me to take Gamma World seriously now because the fantasy elements and the science fiction elements just clash so hard for me now that I'm older. I don't know that I could do the campy goofy stuff anymore but that's the very thing that gives Gamma World its charm.

MGibster

Legend
I guess it depends on how much you weight the theme of "law and order just collapsed" vs. "our predecessors were geniuses and we keep finding their stuff."
Just like with defining science fiction, I won't fight too hard to gatekeep what is and isn't post-apocalyptic as I think the lines can be pretty fuzzy. Let's take a look at a few properties and see where they stand up.

In Mad Max, Max Rockatansky was a police officer serving during a time of great civil unrest, but the state still existed and evidence by the existance of the Main Force Patrol who was charged with maintaining law & order. They even provided Max with a sweet ride in the form of his Interceptor (last of the V-8s). The first movie is apocalyptic but not post-apocalyptic. But 1981's The Road Warrior is different, we see the aftermath of the total collapse of the state with the only sign of civilization being the settlers at the oil refinery. Definitely post-apocalyptic.

The Walking Dead (television series): This one seems easy enough. Post-apocalyptic, right? For the most part, yeah. The state has collapsed in its entirety with the remaining vestiges of civilization being relegated to pockets of settlers scattered here and there. But towards the end of the series, our pit stained heroes come across the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth has a government that provides civil services, a codified set of laws, lawyers, a military, a cash economy, they produce fuel and ammunition, a population of 50,000+, and they're stable (not even our heroes could destroy it like they did Alexandria). I would argue at this point they moved away from the post apocalyptic grind.

Rifts: In Palladium's RPG, the game is set more than 250 years after the titular rifts devestated the planet. You've got several state actors including the Coalition, the Federation of Magic, Lone Star, Free Quebec, etc., etc. This isn't really a post apocalyptic game though a lot of people think it is.

Dungeons and Dragons: Given the number of dungeons you delve that were part of ancient civilizations, I don't think it's unfair to put D&D on the list. But even in Dark Sun, the state exists. There are wild frontiers filled with monsters, remnants of ancient civilizations, and treature, but civilization is almost always close by. Not really post apocalyptic.

I think a good rule of thumb is its still post-apocalyptic until its climbed back up to the equivalent of the prior civilization. As far as I know at no point in the FO timeline are you back to global communication and transport, so...
That's not a bad rule of thumb. I think once the apocalypse is no longer within living memory and you have a defacto state then it's no longer post-apocalyptic.

MGibster

Legend
It's really really hard for me to take Gamma World seriously now because the fantasy elements and the science fiction elements just clash so hard for me now that I'm older. I don't know that I could do the campy goofy stuff anymore but that's the very thing that gives Gamma World its charm.
Embrace the goofiness and have fun.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I have a great deal of nostalgia for Gamma World which I loved back in junior high, and I've frequently thought about doing a campaign in Gamma World with modified D20 rules, but...

Yeah, that was the problem I had last time I tried to do anything with it.

Remove ads