• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic combat

BroccoliRage

First Post
ive been running psionic combat as magical combat. if anyone knows a better way to do it, for gods sake help me. id like to maybe read a walk through of 1e psionic combat and since i have a 2e players hand book and not a 1e, perhaps somebody might be good enough to send me full statistics on it. i cant find it anywhere and id hate to buy another book. the wife is complaining about all my AD&D books are taking up the whole bookshelf. PLEASE HELP ME.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Ouch. When the wife's not happy, nobody's happy.

Unfortunately, I am a 3.5 player. I really like they way they have finaly made psionic combat easier in this system. Sure, a few powers are still broken - but you can say that about a fell spells, too.

But I've heard that old school D&D psionic rules really suck. Never played psionics till 3.5.

Good luck!

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I'd probably suggest trying a site like Dragonsfoot.org, which has a higher population of folks that use the 1e and 2e rules. ENworld is kind of a 3rd edtiion bastion, and the 3e Psi books have either re-written psionic combat to the point that it no longer resembles the 1/2e version, or simply got rid of it altogether.

frankthedm

First Post
BroccoliRage said:
PLEASE HELP ME.
Ok, If you arethe breadwinner have a good strong drink and tell her off about everything about her that bugs you. if she is the bread winner, give her the drink, and butter her up.

Previous edition Psi combat was fast and lethal, 10 rounds of psi cobat took one round IIR. The things with Psi ability were either push overs or killed you nearly instantly. Having psi ability was like having a back door right into your vulnerable grey matter

Last edited:

BroccoliRage

First Post
frankthedm said:
Ok, If you arethe breadwinner have a good strong drink and tell her off about everything about her that bugs you.

wow...you should go into marriage counseling...

frankthedm said:
Previous edition Psi combat was fast and lethal, 10 rounds of psi cobat took one round IIR. The things with Psi ability were either push overs or killed you nearly instantly. Having psi ability was like having a back door right into your vulnerable grey matter

im aware of all this, and in fact ive played about six different methods. i was wondering if anyone had a good walkthrough, such as:

P: i attack
DM: roll the dice

i guess nobody has one, but thanks to everyone for attempts to help. ill continue with my current method.

Steve Jung

Explorer
If you're still interested, here's a rundown of 1ed psionic combat.

A psionic character has a number of psionic strength points (from 5 to 172) for attack and the same number for defense. Total psionic strength is attack strength + defense strength.

Creatures in mental combat choose an attack mode and a defense mode from those they can use. The DM looks at a chart cross-referencing the attacker's current total psionic strength (in increments of 25) with the attack mode used and the defender's defense mode used. In most cases, the defender loses defense strength. Psychic crush is different in that it lists a chance to instantly kill the defender. Then the sides would switch with the attacker being the defender and vice versa. Once that was done, the damage and the costs of the attack and defense modes are subtracted from the respective strengths.

When a defender does not have enough defense strength to use a defense mode, the DM would use a second table comparing the attacker's current attack strength and attack mode to the defender's original total psionic strength. The defender starts losing attack strength points or has various other effects happen to him, such as losing attack or defense modes permanently or becoming a puppet. Psychic crush has a much greater chance of killing the defender at this point.

Remove ads