How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
And the psychic walks right through and mind blasts the wizard because psionics is not magic. No matter what chassis is used the build the psychic class, this is what many consider fundamental. Anti-magic stuff does not stop psychic powers.
Did the magic missiles hit the psychic first and disrupt their concentration?

Did the magic missiles hit the psychic first and disrupt their concentration?

Depends on whether the psychic knows a non-magical version of the Shield spell to block them. ;)

But I am off for a while. Eternals is out on Disney+ today, so time to watch that and see who could count as Psi-powered and not as whatever they are officially. lol

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Depends on whether the psychic knows a non-magical version of the Shield spell to block them. ;)

But I am off for a while. Eternals is out on Disney+ today, so time to watch that and see who could count as Psi-powered and not as whatever they are officially. lol
Why would psionics block magic I'd magic doesn't block psionics?

I think many are missing the real issue.

It's not whether psionics is like magic.

It is whether psionics is like 5th edition D&D-style, slot-based, spell-level-based, swappable spells, non-exclusive-spells, magic.
Considering that scholarly magic based on learning formulas from books, divine miracles granted by gods or nature spirits, having inborn magical power due birthright, having imbued with power by some greater being, and rock'n roll all work like that, I'd say that in D&D the answer should definitely be 'yes.' What you need to sell is the idea that psionics is somehow more different from all of these than they're from each other, and that seems like a tall order.

Last edited:

I agree the Psion deserves a separate class.

Re Telekinesis, force constructs like Unseen Servant, Tiny Hut, Wall of Force, etcetera, also extend to force constructs like Spiritual Weapon and other objects made out of force.

I think those telekinetic examples (except Wall of Force) are far too specific. I wouldn't expect psychics to have powers equivalent to this, either. I'm expecting new powers, but built to be balanced under D&D rules.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Considering that scholarly magic based on learning formulas from books, divine miracles granted by gods or nature spirits, having inborn magical power due birthright, having imbued with power by some greater being, and rock'n roll all work like that, I'd say that in D&D the answer should definitely be 'yes.' What you need to sell is the idea that psionics is somehow more different from all of these than they're from each other, and that seems like a tall order.
you may have a point but what mechanic would be the centrepiece of the psion then?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Considering that scholarly magic based on learning formulas from books, divine miracles granted by gods or nature spirits, having inborn magical power due birthright, having imbued with power with some greater being, and rock'n roll all work like that, I'd say that in D&D the answer should definitely be 'yes.' What you need to sell is the idea that psionics is somehow more different from all of these than they're from each other, and that seems like a tall order.
It isn't that tall.

Psionics, especially in Sci Fi, has usually been describe as paranormal phenomenas unlocks with pseudoscience and powered by willpower and mental stamina.

Psionic fights in meme form is characters pounding each other with their willpower or quick thinking, not spell slots and 9 levels of spells. Every 5th editions NeoVancian casting feels weird on a telepath or metamorph to me.

It isn't that tall.

Psionics, especially in Sci Fi, has usually been describe as paranormal phenomenas unlocks with pseudoscience and powered by willpower and mental stamina.
Sounds like magic.

Psionic fights in meme form is characters pounding each other with their willpower or quick thinking, not spell slots and 9 levels of spells. Every 5th editions NeoVancian casting feels weird on a telepath or metamorph to me.
Not any more than for many other types of magic. This is simply how D&D handles these things, like how fighting with weapons is handled via attack and damage rolls. This is like wanting to have some completely different combat resolution system for katanas. 🤷

Yaarel

He Mage
It isn't that tall.

That is kinda what the Aberration Sorcerer already is: psychic powers "unlocked" by having an Aberration bloodline.

In other words, normal 5e spellcasting mechanics.

Remove ads