D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

dave2008

Legend
There's been suggestions of remote viewing, telekinesis, people bending spoons & monks slowing down their metabolism to endure sub-zero temperatures, etc IRL. This to me is closer to psionics than calling it magic.
IMO, that is all BS. Anything in that realm that has been scientifically observed as been shown to be false, trickery or flat out lies. That kind of stuff has been talked about in martial arts for years (I've practice a MA a bit myself), and it is mostly lies to make martial artist seem more mysterious and powerful. Thus, if you want to do them - its magic.

However, I do acknowledge the mind can do fairly amazing things with ones own mindy/body. However, telekinetic powers, attacking other creatures, or really anything that affects another object or creature - 100% magic.

As far as I remember 5E doesnt use the supernatural designation anymore does it? Up until 3E Psionics were separated from magic, was its own system and added its own flavor to the game, thats why non-psionicists had very little defense against psionic powers.
I personally don't mind psionics having different game mechanics (I liked the psionic die), but it would still be magic by a different name. In fact I could see several different types of magic having different game mechanics: arcane, divine, and psionic magic could all have different mechanics if you ask me.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm sorry, but I find this logic painfully nonsensical. 'It's not magic, I just use mental tecniques to levitate things.' That's bloody magic, mate!
LOL, don't be. You are totally entitled to your view as I am to mine. No worries. :)

I think the things that do overlap would intereact, but there are things psionics could have (like the Mind Flayer's psionic blast) that would not interact with magic.

Finally, I have never liked psionics as a class or subclass. I like the 1E random powers you might get but was super-rare. So, whatever form psionics takes it will likely not see much use if any in my games. 🤷‍♂️

Agree, it can use the same "base" system as long as it doesnt use components, cant be dispelled and isnt called a spell. As clunky as the 1E & 2E psionic systems were, they felt totally different because of the mechanics they used. Its all about the flavor of the class and its powers. If theyre just magic it another magic using class then I think its a missed opportunity.
The part I agree with is that thematically psionics probably shouldn't use components, at least material components. Those make more sense if you're channeling the power from somewhere else rather than using your innate abilities.

dave2008

Legend
But it wasn't spells. It's not magic in the sense that cleric, sorcerers, every other caster uses it. It was using internal mind energy, not calling upon external power to do things.
What wasn't spells? I mean just because you don't call something a "spell," doesn't mean it is not a spell. I don't care about the mechanics or what you call things. What ever makes people happy is fine with me.

I don't personally see why people are all worked up about what you call it how it functions. If you call it a psion, its a psion to me. My only preference for using a different mechanic is simple to have another mechanic, I new design space to explore.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Ugh, psionics again... Err! I mean, yeah! Hooray for those that actually want this!

Though right now, these just look like spells that have the psychic damage type. Who knows if there is actually #Psionics coming?

I also don't think it would be a terrible thing personally. No new system to learn. Plus I have too many bad memories of psionics from past editions. It was only ever fun if the whole party went psionics.

dave2008

Legend
Aren't you conflating two things there?

People definitely said they didn't want Psionics using an entirely new mechanic, but I don't recall them also saying that people wanted Psionics to use the spell mechanics, just not something new like Psi die. I think I'd have remember if WotC claimed people wanted Psionic spells, because I'd have been incensed.
Could be, I wasn't trying to make a definitive statement and I haven't cared enough to remember. It seems you care, so I would take your word on it.

I agree that there is, but my concern is that when you start making psionic spells, especially calling them things like "Tasha's Mind Whip" (not Mind Whip), you're very clearly establishing them as spells, and they can't really be re-used as psionics without creating a new, separate system, which WotC don't want to do.
Sure. I think the would have been best served, if they are going with psionics as spells, to make a completely separate spell list and keep the psionic flavor of the names. I don't have any issue filing off "tasha" or what ever, but I know it bothers others and it would be an easy way to appease (if not satisfy) multiple parties.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What wasn't spells? I mean just because you don't call something a "spell," doesn't mean it is not a spell. I don't care about the mechanics or what you call things. What ever makes people happy is fine with me.

I don't personally see why people are all worked up about what you call it how it functions. If you call it a psion, its a psion to me. My only preference for using a different mechanic is simple to have another mechanic, I new design space to explore.
Spells have a certain meaning in common and D&D usage. They are cooked up or new prayers and generally invoke outside power to enact.

What psionics does are not spells. Powers, sure, but not spells.

Remove ads