D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Yes, a sorcerer with psion theme is what psions are in this edition. You're rejecting this approach without having seen the rules because it is not called 'psion'. You're irrationally fixated on the nomenclature.
You're right. In fact, now that I think of it, I could pick any class I like and call it "Psion", and hocus pocus, I'll have a Psion class I like.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, a sorcerer with psion theme is what psions are in this edition. You're rejecting this approach without having seen the rules because it is not called 'psion'. You're irrationally fixated on the nomenclature.
Or else not. A Psion is not a Sorcerer and is more than just a name. We're fixated on an actual Psion and not a cheap substitute.

You're right. In fact, now that I think of it, I could pick any class I like and call it "Psion", and hocus pocus, I'll have a Psion class I like.

That is a very heathy approach. :)

I really would liked to have seen the (the balanced) mystic in the game.

I have now encountered a cool concept for the warlord I would subscribe to (The one that just uses superiority dice as a base class, not a subclass feature, so the battle master retroactively becomes the "eldritch knight" style multiclass light of them...

So I think those 3 subclasses and especially the psionic sorcerer are a good start. The psionic sorcerer, if they resemble the UA variant closely could be the psi multiclass light variant.
If you already have psionic powers established (in 5e they are called spells, because... and actually powers of (2e skills and powers) were just spells by a different name that could be upcast with psi points) you could build a class that has those powers on their list exclusively. You can probably do away with spell slots alltogether and give psi points that recharge on a short rest and solely fuel those spells. Establish a rate of trade akin to sorcery points. Now give them psionic class features and you can have a psion class, that plays well with everything else.

Or else not. A Psion is not a Sorcerer and is more than just a name. We're fixated on an actual Psion and not a cheap substitute.

Now you are in the same boat as the warlord lovers. Look my post above for my solution. Maybe just do it yourself, because otherwise you probably wait for another 5 years.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
For me the points are used wrong in sorcerers.

To me, sorcerer spend sorcery points on metamagic to modify spells and activate special features.

Whereas psions spend psionic points directly into their powers into augments listed on them.

It's a subtle but important difference.

The easiest example might be someone like Fitzchivalry Farseer, but honestly, an awful lot of "romantic fantasy" (i.e. the "Blue Rose" genre) has "magic" which is basically psionics, rather than vice-versa (i.e. it's all telepathy, empathy, telekinesis, mind-battles and so on, not rituals, fireballs, magic traps and so on).

In general in fantasy literature, a pretty significant proportion of characters who wield "magic" or some kind of supernatural power are using something which in previous editions been "psionics", and which worked in a very different way to D&D's flashy, big-effect-oriented slot magic.

I think the issue is that I come from a fantasy-literature background, and I'm interested in characters who have abilities like that, more than ones with flashy BOOM-spell abilities - those have their charm too but it's a different charm.

Warlocks are cool but they're extremely specific. They can't be reskinned as a psionic caster without both rules revisions and a sort of incredibly elaborate re-skinning. You'd want more in the way of cantrips, completely change out the warlock-ability-things for psionic ones, get rid of the whole mechanical bit to do with the patron, and use that design-room to give you the ability to use some kind of spell-point-based system for low-level spells or something maybe. I don't think it would really work out well.
I actually agree with this. I wish there was more focus on subtle, non-flashy magic. But this really doesn't depend on psionics rules being distinct, there being bespoke psion class or even psionics existing as a concept. It just requires there to be plenty of non-flashy spells and classes that can choose those spells. So I'd assume the new mind-affecting spells will help there.

For me the points are used wrong in sorcerers.

To me, sorcerer spend sorcery points on metamagic to modify spells and activate special features.

Whereas psions spend psionic points directly into their powers into augments listed on them.

It's a subtle but important difference.
It seems like slightly different way to do basically the same thing. You might prefer it to be done your way, but when using a readymade system you just can't be this picky. There will always be some small things you would have preferred to do a bit differently; another person's creation can never be exactly as you'd do it. I get it, I have my personal mechanical hang ups. But the solution is to either accept that the RAW version is 'close enough' or start writing houserules. And depending on the situation I've done both.

Aldarc

Legend
I actually agree with this. I wish there was more focus on subtle, non-flashy magic. But this really doesn't depend on psionics rules being distinct, there being bespoke psion class or even psionics existing as a concept. It just requires there to be plenty of non-flashy spells and classes that can choose those spells. So I'd assume the new mind-affecting spells will help there.
It's there, but it's again entirely subsumed by arcane (and arguably divine) magic and without much thematic cohesion. The Sorcerer has a lot of spells that lie outside of psionics, which dilutes those themes considerably. This is one reason why I think that 5e would benefit from a full-fledged Psion class. Pathfinder 2 went out of its way to create an Occult spell list that delves into the more subtle, psychic, and occult themes of psionics. Four spell lists: arcane, divine, occult, and primal. I kinda wish this is the route that 5e D&D used.

Remove ads