Psionics Terms for New System

Flobby

Explorer
Okay, working on a new psionics system for 3.x/pathfinder and need some help with naming some terms.
The two I need help with are...

1. A mental attack bonus all characters have to resolve psionic powers. Powers work like skills but use one modifier that advances with level. Right now I'm calling it Channel but I'm considering Concentration, Manifest, or Focus.

2. There is a skill called Focus I might rename. It is like the current Autohypnosis but different enough to warrant a name change. I'm also thinking of Meditation...

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I really like blargney's suggestions.

That may be because I am prejudiced to think in terms of "manifest", which I feel is the best psionic term/verb...or noun.

Wizards cast their spells. Psionicists/Psions manifest their psychic/mental powers. They present manifestations. It just helps, in a completely semantic/flavor way of, having/helping people think psionics aren't just another form of "magic."

To use "manifest" as a specific power/skill/ability way would just muddy the mental waters, so to speak.

And "Acuity" is particularly flavorful for the power you describe.

I feel, in general, psionics are more about the flavor...and the terming as such. Otherwise, from a mechanical standpoint, as I said they are just another "magic"...which I do not like to consider them.

--SD

TKDB

First Post
I like "Acuity" for the attack bonus sorta thing, but the term "Discipline" seems a little too broad in scope to be used for psionics. I second steeldragons's statement that psionics is mainly defined by terminology and flavor, so the skill should be named something that is clearly recognizable as being psionics-related.

What exactly about the skill makes it like/unlike Autohypnosis? If it's thematically the same sort of thing -- gaining command over your own subconscious mind (and, by extension, certain bodily functions) -- and differs only in mechanics, I'd say just call it Autohypnosis, assuming you won't be using the regular psionics rules alongside your homebrew version.

TKDB

First Post
Autohypnosis is very nearly a made-up synonym for self-discipline.

Not really (hypnosis and discipline are pretty different concepts), but even if it were I'd still favor "autohypnosis". It's not that "discipline" isn't accurate as such, it's just that it doesn't feel very psionic. "Discipline" is a very mundane word, and that simply won't do for this purpose.

Flobby

Explorer
Wizards cast their spells. Psionicists/Psions manifest their psychic/mental powers. They present manifestations. It just helps, in a completely semantic/flavor way of, having/helping people think psionics aren't just another form of "magic."

To use "manifest" as a specific power/skill/ability way would just muddy the mental waters, so to speak.

--SD

Hmmm... Okay so manifest is out. I guess using Concentration would be confusing too then, huh.

Acuity, I did't think of that.

I do like the term Focus, so I'd like to use it for one of them--the problem is which one.
(This will be published as a pdf, by the way.)

Remove ads