[Psionics] Wotc's red headed step child

crmsnstll

First Post
As you can tell I am new to the boards so if this has come up before I apologize.

I personally am a lover of Psionics and was very disappointed with 3.0 when I heard that they were not including it in the core book. I loved it back in AD&D, even when they came out with at least 3 different rules for it. Then with 3.0 I hoped they would included them in the Core books to give Psionics a mainstream boost, but they didn't. They again put it in it's own book and seperated Psionics from the rest, giving it a second class citizen feel. Now in 3.5 I realize that it is unrealistic to believe that they would include it, but waiting until April to release what I believe should be a Core book curtainly feels like the other odd member.

I was just wondering if other people feel this way as well or is it just me. And if a person in the know is out there, why did they do this.

Also, just so I don't affend any red headed step children I was one myself. (Literally)

Edit: Just altered the subject a tad. --Dinkeldog

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsyr

Explorer
Simply, despite being included in a main book, Psionics has never been "core" to DnD. Always an option. The exception, of course, being Dark Sun, but that in itself was an option. Many people just don't like the feel or notion of psionics in the standard DnD setting, so it's not presented as a core option so that DMs don't have to house rule it out. It's always easier to say "Ok, we ARE using these optional rules" than to say, "Ok, we AREN'T using these core rules", at least in the minds of some DMs.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I've used psionics off and on before even as far back as the early 80's when we played 1e...and I am one of the people that is glad they are not part of the core rules.

I dont really think they belong in straight-up/core/main/whatever-you-want-to-call-it D&D. Gygax said he wished he'd never put them in the 1e PHB and I tend to agree with him. Not that they are bad or don't belong in a fantasy setting (Dark Sun made them work), just not in the core books.

Just me though perhaps...

I don't think they belong with core material. Quite frankly, Psionics are inappropriate for a great many campaign settings; ones that try to capture a more "classical" feel will certainly be hurt by the inclusion of psionics.

That doesn't mean psionics can't be great in other settings, but there you have it.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Better than Core

Psionics isn't for every campaign. It can be a great feature, like in Dark Sun. I'm glad its not core.
That said, you should be glad that psionics are not Core as well. If psionics were included in the PHB or DMG, they would be limited to a small page spread, maybe a whole chapter if you are lucky.
But, behold, there is an entire handbook devoted to Psionics! Not only is there one on the shelf, but there is an Expanded Psionics Handbook coming out in 7 months that is 3.5 updated. Woohoo!
So that is more mind trippy goodness for the people that want it and one less purchase for those that do not.

Grim Slade

Holy Bovine

First Post
Psion said:
I'd rather have psionics done justice in it's own book that hastily crammed in an appendix.

My feelings exactly. I like psionics and always have. I thought the 3E version of psi powers was the best of all versions of D&D and was quite happy to pay for the extra book. Of course my players don't seem to like psionics and my DM won't allow them but I still like to put psi using creatures in my campaign when I can.

Also are thry really re-releasing the PsiHB in April? I thought there was to be a web-enchanment to update it to 3.5?

hong

WotC's bitch
Holy Bovine said:

My feelings exactly. I like psionics and always have. I thought the 3E version of psi powers was the best of all versions of D&D and was quite happy to pay for the extra book. Of course my players don't seem to like psionics and my DM won't allow them but I still like to put psi using creatures in my campaign when I can.

Also are thry really re-releasing the PsiHB in April? I thought there was to be a web-enchanment to update it to 3.5?

Shut up, you. You're dead.

Oh, hang on, you're not.

Carry on!

Mach2.5

First Post
3e shafted psionics, not by giving psionics its own book, but apparently by not making a balanced system for it. If Thoughts Could Kill and Mindscapes both refine the 3e psionics in a great system. With Bruce Cordell (who wrote all three of the above mentioned books) also working on the 3.5 book, it should come out right this time ;)

Also, just as a side not to psionic setting lovers, the Dark Sun Core Rules are out now, at least, mostly out. Check em out at The Burnt World of Athas. They still need tweaked a bit and updated to 3.5, but hey, its a start for a campaign setting that (from a quote above) did psionics right.

Remove ads