• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psych me up for Dark Heresy

Renshai

First Post
I found that focusing on the Inquisition is what helped the game have focus, rather than lacking it. Sure, its just one aspect of the 40k universe but it is a very fun one to play.

Though your characters might be just starting off, they have quite a bit of power to wield and that is a refreshing change for some people. It can also be fun to watch them abuse that power and suffer for it later.

The only thing that might put you off is the sheer amount of material that you need to take in. The rulebook is huge. I find that a relief though, after getting a book like FRCS 4E where the information is purposefully vague and not deep at all.

DH is really fun, it has tons of fun gadgets and more than enough villains and threats to choose from. You won't be disappointed in the book if you have any fondness at all for the 40k universe.

Ethalias

First Post
One thing I LOVE is the humour of the injuries tables. Flaming soon-to-be-corpses setting nearby characters on fire, head exploding and splattering those nearby.. Black humour throughout :)

Phaezen

Adventurer
Start reading the Horus Heresy series starting with "Horus Rising" by Dan Abnett. If you aren't psyched to do Dark Heresy by the time you finish the second book "False Gods" by Graham McNeill then there is nothing more that can be done to psych you up. Black Library has a ton of other books that more directly deal with Inquisitors so you might check those out too.

If you are looking for 40k novels to grok the feeling of what inquisitors are, THe Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies by Dan Abnett should be the first things to read, I would also recommend Abnet's Gaunts Ghost series (actually anything by him really).

Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series are also highly enjoyable.

Phaezen

Renshai

First Post
Scourge of the Heretic is also an excellent look at an actual Inquisition group working together. I just finished reading the book and it really helped me grasp the scope and reach of the Inquisition.

Asmor

First Post
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions and links. I'm considering picking up one of the novels tomorrow...

Anyone have any actual play experiences they'd like to share? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads