Level Up (A5E) PtA>fallback got rolled out in tonight's game & it was a smashing success!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Tonight was session 3 or 4 & I've mentioned PtA/fallback to players a few times before tonight's session but held off on it until I felt that the players were a bit more comfortable with their characters. The players are level 2 attacking a fort with zombies & death dogs. the 3 tanky players were facing off against 3 zombies with the squishy warlock & squishy healer back a bit. PtA got used a few times in the fight. Seeing players rushing around the battlefield was an unexpected bonus
  • Firstly some of the zombies were flanking the highest AC player & one did PtA to jump the d4 from flank to a d6 that just barely allowed the zombie to hit the plate clad greatsword fighter who used parrying counter turning it into a miss.
    • Players flocked over to paste that zombie
  • That same player started using PtA later in the fight but I don't remember the details other than that he got hit & parried it into a miss. Having the crunchiest crunchy PC on the field do something to both make himself a threat as well as giving monsters a solid chance of hitting him from the advantage nicely helped him contribute on both fronts rather than the monsters just ignoring the brick wall.
  • The second time PtA really did something cool was when a death dog with 40ft of movement was intercepted by a squishy healer on its way to the squishy warlock it wanted to bite. The healer got hit pretty good anyways but his choice to fallback right away improved his odds enough to only take one hit instead of both. The fact that fallback burns a reaction shook things up when the death dog finished the attack & continued on towards the warlock.
    • Smelling the blood of tasty advantage was enough to send the adept fighter & marshal walking away from the remaining zombie AoOs to go splat the much scarier death dog
The zombies were up-armored with ac14 bone armor so hitting them needed a 12 or so without doing PtA while the death dogs were their default ac12, I think that really helped PtA shine in ways that wouldn't have worked if zombies were an almost certain hit.

Last edited:

Remove ads