D&D 5E Pteranodon Ranger

vegaserik01

First Post
Just watch (or read) the Dinotopia mini-series, they had some sweet riding scenes! If you don't want it ridden I'd make it smaller - it's your world they can be whatever size you want it to be. Maybe it's young and will grow as the pc levels. If too large it won't be too helpful in cities, caverns, dungeons, etc ...

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Just watch (or read) the Dinotopia mini-series, they had some sweet riding scenes! If you don't want it ridden I'd make it smaller - it's your world they can be whatever size you want it to be. Maybe it's young and will grow as the pc levels. If too large it won't be too helpful in cities, caverns, dungeons, etc ...

Those were Quetzalcoatlus, though

Which aren't medium by far. Those are the size of giraffes

Azurewraith

Explorer
Got to love it when the science people come in and try and apply logic to a world where people can shoot fireballs out there hands and then tell the fireball who to burn.Oh a i am science person btw this was satirical not meant to be a dig at anyone etc.

Just let him have the dino as is let him fly it all nice and easy a dc15 handle animal or dex save what ever if it takes damage seems fine(have an exotic saddle grant ADV). Make it a quest to track it down gain its trust etc. The flying is only really an issue in open plains i think ruling that it needs at least 20ft of open space to be able to fly seems fair. I find it to situational to use and the Bm class is all ready combat poor, as for scouting its no worse than a crow familiar etc.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Vultures in 5e are Medium.
WZK72052-8-36_500.jpeg

Much larger than even a real world Condor, but viable for a fantasy world.
Griffon-Vulture.jpg

Probably a Jackal, but imagine a Wolf.

It's the creatures they eat.

If a small character can ride a vulture, pterodactyl seems fine.

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
One of my players is a Gnome Ranger (Beastmaster/archery fighting style) whose pet was recently killed. We were discussing a replacement pet that could be picked up on the Isle of Dread, and, of course, a Pteranodon came up. I like the idea, but I do not want it to get too OP. What kind of limits (if any) would you put on it to keep it from getting out of hand.

I honestly do not think it has much chance of getting out of hand.

Remove ads